Notices

Day 5 of tapering off

Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 of tapering off

Tried to do the cold turkey method, I was up 24/7 for 3 days straight and by the end of it I was hearing music that wasn't there, I even had librium and valium to help me and the insomnia was like mental torture - I relapsed.

Now I am on day 5 of tapering off, I was doing 2 litres of whiskey/vodka a day and I went from that to doing 3 9% volume beers a night.. now I am down to 5% volume beers a night.

First night was mostly insomnia but I was in some sort of limbo were my body was resting and I was half dreaming bad still concious, hard to explain.

Second night was I eventually got to sleep as I remember having a nightmare.

Ever since then my body wants massive amounts of sleep - it is a slight struggle to sleep but I got there eventually, just the constant unpleasant dreams and waking up every 2-3 hours is not good but I know this will disappear over time.

I know tapering off takes iron willpower as those 3 beers can easily turn into 6 or worse - into whiskey or vodka. Last night I was tempted to hit the vodka so I went into bed to think about it and luckily feel asleep.. that urge is now gone

I am picking the slower method of quitting than most have done here but it seems to be working for me. :ghug3
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it's working for you then it doesn't matter how other people choose to get sober. You are aware that there can be issues with tapering (the temptation to drink more) so hopefully if you keep that in the forefront of your mind you will not be swayed. I know that I've passed the point of no return in that sense - stopping at 3 seems like torture to me and I wouldn't do it to myself, but then I didn't have the withdrawals you are talking about and I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to go through that again.

Wishing you all the best. Let us know how you get on.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you involve a Dr Guyver? I really think it's the best way to go.

D
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Tried to do the cold turkey method, I was up 24/7 for 3 days straight and by the end of it I was hearing music that wasn't there, I even had librium and valium to help me and the insomnia was like mental torture - I relapsed.

Now I am on day 5 of tapering off, I was doing 2 litres of whiskey/vodka a day and I went from that to doing 3 9% volume beers a night.. now I am down to 5% volume beers a night.

First night was mostly insomnia but I was in some sort of limbo were my body was resting and I was half dreaming bad still concious, hard to explain.

Second night was I eventually got to sleep as I remember having a nightmare.

Ever since then my body wants massive amounts of sleep - it is a slight struggle to sleep but I got there eventually, just the constant unpleasant dreams and waking up every 2-3 hours is not good but I know this will disappear over time.

I know tapering off takes iron willpower as those 3 beers can easily turn into 6 or worse - into whiskey or vodka. Last night I was tempted to hit the vodka so I went into bed to think about it and luckily feel asleep.. that urge is now gone

I am picking the slower method of quitting than most have done here but it seems to be working for me. :ghug3
Your story is just like mine in 1989.

I thought I knew what the problem was and I thought I knew what to do about it. I was wrong.

I found my recovery by surrendering to Alcoholics Anonymous because I had exhausted all other options.

All the best to you.

Bob R