Notices

Having a hard time fitting in

Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a hard time fitting in

I've been here a short while and I post daily and try to be supportive where I feel I have anything to offer, but I gotta be honest, I'm kinda feeling like I'm having a difficult time finding a place to fit in anywhere. I feel like I'm jumpinhg from one place to another in search of a "home" here but can't find one. I don't know......

I'm doing a 60 day taper and doing well at it at the moment. I just feel like I don't really know where I fit in here........
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey aems, I'm new here too.. And I know the feeling you are talking about, I even get that sometimes on a forum I go to for my boxer. I wouldn't worry as much as you are, chime in, give your 2 cents, ask your questions, try and help another etc.. I have a feeling it will be much appreciated and wont go unnoticed.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you stop jumping and settle for a little bit, then see how you are doing? Maybe with the jumping, you are creating a situation so that you don't fit in. Just think about it for a little bit.

I read through your posts, seems to me you are an awesome supporter for people and have a lot of great things to add to this site.

Since you are in the midst of tapering, seems to me it will take you a while to feel as if you do fit in and then where you fit in.

Hang tight! Your tapering is moving forward....

Stick around here, we need you here!!!

With love & hugs,
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've read alot of your posts. I feel like I don't have alot to offer other people as yet so I often don't know what to say.

I'm just new too and I feel I should belong in several of the sections but I guess it takes awhile to click. There are some great people on here.
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never felt like I fit in either until I went to AA. I soon knew I was "Home".

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

the 30 days and under croud are welcoming :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-them-15.html

As are the monthly "classes"
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-19.html

Just hang around a bit post and i'm sure people will get used to seeing you around, thats all i did

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you're doing fantastic on the taper. Maybe some of this might be quite a few
don't taper from your DOC as it's harder for some, rather than cold turkey.
People tend to respond to parts that are closer to their own interests, problems, etc.

Maybe you should, while maintaining the taper thread, go take a gander at the Whiner's Thread (it's fun and has a lot of comradery) or the gratitude thread, the pets thread, ...Or *thinks*...Oh! You can get into the January Support Group here on Newcomers? Music thread is great too.

Always too are the PM's, Chat, Albums, Blogs.

Or wander around and see what others are talking about and join in.

Me - I hang in the arcade every morning for an hour. Sometimes I spent several hours in afternoon and evening. .....just the mental distraction of playing arcade games helps me to get through some tough times while doing a rapid taper from ativan so I'm sick more often than well. <---thus it's hard for me to type/talk more times than not.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edit - 5 people took the time to write you while I wrote my post.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I never felt like I fit in either until I went to AA. I soon knew I was "Home".

All the best.

Bob R
Yup! When I discovered AA I felt comfortable for the first time in my life. I could be who I was and people liked me anyway.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I jump around here a lot, this time I've joined one of the monthly threads ( Jan 2013 ) and it seems kind of cool to be in a smaller group. I think to me it's mostly just about reading and sometimes writing that helps. Some days I don't write anything at all and some days I write a lot. No one will judge you either way, so do whatever feels best. But whatever you do don't give up! Even just lurking behind the scenes and reading is better than doing nothign at all.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! (((Hugs))) I'll try one of the groups suggested. I think that part of the problem is that I don't feel the desperation that so many others talk about when they begin a taper or go cold turkey. I just don't feel desperate about doing this. I'm not scared. I know what to do and I know what to expect. It may get sticky along the way and I'm going to need some support and I'm afraid people won't know who I am when I really need to reach out. Thanks for all your responses. I'll have another look around at some of the suggested threads.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aems View Post
Thanks everyone! (((Hugs))) I'll try one of the groups suggested. I think that part of the problem is that I don't feel the desperation that so many others talk about when they begin a taper or go cold turkey. I just don't feel desperate about doing this. I'm not scared. I know what to do and I know what to expect. It may get sticky along the way and I'm going to need some support and I'm afraid people won't know who I am when I really need to reach out. Thanks for all your responses. I'll have another look around at some of the suggested threads.
If it makes you feel better, everyone is different when it comes to how they perceive a sober future.

I had a positive outlook, as I knew alcohol was no longer an option for me. I was not scared, nor anxious...but it wasn't exactly easy.

It was something I had to do and I did it. I didn't find SR until I had been sober close to five months.

Addiction is the great equalizer. and so together, no matter our race, religion, social status or wealth...we are united in our understanding that sobriety is our only option.

You do fit in.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can recommend some of those group threads

D
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't worry you will find your home. I jumped around to AA meetings and I didn't find a right fit for a couple of months. Believe me the meetings are much better when you feel you fit in.
Tonight I have my chicks at six at Alano club and tomorrow I have a women for sobriety group. These are 2 that I really like.

Right now you are a triangle trying to fit into a circle there are some open spaces but can be filled.

gigi
Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can feel where you're coming from. There are a ton of people on this forum and a lot come and go. So just keep posting. Always reach out when you need to. I even think our addictions can make us feel unincluded or not good enough to get us drinking/using again. I highly recommend the class threads. The month I quit in is where I post mostly now but it took a little while for all of us to get to know each other and we could only do that by posting regularly. And it's good you have an avatar. I think sometimes pictures are easier to start remembering than usernames. But you're on the right track.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I move around a lot in SR.
Don't think there is a right or wrong place to fit in.
Keep reading & posting & giving support.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never really been someone who 'fit in' anywhere - online or off. It's not even something I think about that much anymore. Just post, share, read, and I'm sure eventually you'll get into a groove.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your responses. (((Hugs)))