Notices

does one get complacent?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does one get complacent?

Hi, I'm curious as whether one gets complacent after being sober for a while?
I can only imagine that once you get the feeling like you may have it beat the booze that its then when we might faulter.
I`m afraid that when the novelty of sobriety wears off that I may figure its okay to have a bottle of beer creating the whole circle all over again.
Or does the novelty of sobriety never wear off?
Just curious
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Billeth View Post
Hi, I'm curious as whether one gets complacent after being sober for a while?
I can only imagine that once you get the feeling like you may have it beat the booze that its then when we might faulter.
I`m afraid that when the novelty of sobriety wears off that I may figure its okay to have a bottle of beer creating the whole circle all over again.
Or does the novelty of sobriety never wear off?
Just curious
For me the novelty wears off pretty quick. It's important to work on a plan ( for me at least ) to make sure that you don't go back and start over again.

I quit my nicotine habit almost 3 years ago and i still get those urges. I've never gone that long not drinking but it's a much stronger addiction for me so I know I will need a plan for the rest of my life.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is why I love AA. The act of helping newcomers, sponsoring, being of service. It all keeps sobriety exciting. I can honestly say pretty much everyday I am eager for the opportunity to help another drunk. Of course there are those occasional days where I get complacent. Get caught up in self. Try to ignore the fact that I have a responsibility to help others. AA comes in handy there too because I have friends who will call me out on that type of behavior and help me get back on track. Its a win-win for me.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Billeth View Post
Seems to be one of the common reasons for relapsing...using our own success at not drinking for a reason to drink.

All I can say is, "Don't."
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent question imo. Absolutely people become complacent once the novelty wears off - I see it every day. The trick, as I see it, is not to have sobriety be your goal - but simply a step toward your goal. For me, the goal is recovery through spiritual growth and there is no finish line for me to rest on my laurals when I reach it. Once upon the road less travelled, you can always go further.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Excellent question imo. Absolutely people become complacent once the novelty wears off - I see it every day. The trick, as I see it, is not to have sobriety be your goal - but simply a step toward your goal. For me, the goal is recovery through spiritual growth and there is no finish line for me to rest on my laurals when I reach it. Once upon the road less travelled, you can always go further.
Perfectly said and I may add that I do what I need to do on a daily bais to keep sober.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me being Sober is easy...I find it hard to understand that for most people it's difficult?

You make the decision based on experience and logic to quit drinking. That logic never changes, so the desire never returns. When your brain understands this logic on a deep level, you will be free.

I don't mean to sound arrogant but it's what I firmly believe.

Train your Brain.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I don't think i've beat the booze i think a ceasefire or stalemate for the rest of my days is where i'm at .

The terms of the ceasefire are, it wont kill me if i don't touch it .

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love this, what a great way to think about every aspect of our lives.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Staying sober long term is not easy but it is possible. As the years go by and life takes a few dumps on you I have found sobriety is a game of inches. I do what I need to do on a daily basis to maintain my sobriety in the good times and the bad. Each day I move myself toward being sober because I need a buffer zone to protect me when circumstances challenge my decision to stay sober. Alcohol is cunning and patient. It is always waiting for that moment of weakness when it may be able to convince me that sobriety is not the most important thing in my life.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love this too, its a great attitude to have and Im going to keep this in mind and use it too