Notices

Day 3 - Feeling Well

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 - Feeling Well

I see there are a lot of posts from people in the very early stages and you can add me to that list. I am still feeling the rush of freedom that quitting can bring. The key, for me, is to realize that the rush will fade and it will be the rest of my life. Coping and resisting the urges and maintaining a healthier body, mind and soul are the lifelong challenges ahead of me. Today I feel strong.

An extra amount of coffee during the day hits my nerves a little, but I think quitting multiple things at once seems dangerous to me.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and sober day.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The rest of my life is dangerous territory for me. In reality all I have to do is keep sober today by doing the things I do everyday to keep sober
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I would urge you to get into some sort of recovery routine so that eventually that routine will feel more natural than the routine of using/drinking. Regular meeting attendance, working steps with a sponsor that I trust, replacing ALL my friends with people who are leading a positive lifestyle, frequent exercise and being of service to others is what is working for me.

Gather your tools for recovery and use them and you have no reason to worry about the pink cloud going away- the rest of your life is whatever color of cloud you choose to make it.

After some time, the fear of your addiction will be replaced with hope for things to come.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is fantastic advice, YEM.

Right now my plan is to see a therapist once a week and to attend the SMART weekly meeting in my area. I have not been a daily or even weekly drinker for 10 years so I am lucky in that I do not suffer from physical withdrawal symptons or have constant urges.

The most important tool for me is to never drink again and to not change my mind.

Communicating with people on a site like this helps me understand that I am not alone and gives me strength in knowing others are feeling as I am and have felt as I feel.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If no one minds I would like to use this thread to update my progress. It helps me to write out a quick thought on my feelings, where I'm at and to note any upcoming challenges. I do this in conjunction with my own sobriety program. If there is a more proper place for this on the forums, please let me know.

Last night went very well. I worked late and was stressed but got to spend some great time with my toddler son, let myself feel the stress of the day and slept very well. Day 4 and I am still feeling very calm and at peace. I know that I will not always feel calm and at peace and so I am appreciating today.

This weekend I visit in-laws in a very drinking heavy environment. I've already explained to them that I am an alcoholic, in recovery and will not be drinking. I have felt the initial push back of family members stating that I don't have a drinking problem and that this seems like a drastic step.

I find it difficult to explain to people that react in this way, but I have just said that I am unhappy when I drink and happy when I don't and am choosing to be happy.

I wish everyone a great day, happy, healthy and sober.

And thanks again for providing a place to write these sorts of things out without fear or anxiety.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

If you focus on your recovery the rest of your life will just kinda slip into place. Or at least that was my experience. And when I feel life getting on top of me I just have to get my recovery to the top again and then everything seems normal. Focus on one day at a time. Don't go overboard with quitting everything. Don't become a 'supersober'. Drink coffee, smoke cigarettes. God knows they are better than what you used to be doing.

Natom.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everybody on here is in or has been in the same boat as you my friend, it is hard to resist temptation after the initial surges of willpower slowly fade. All you have to remember is all the times you have wasted days by being hungover, or all the times you may of made a fool of yourself whilst drunk, and even the damage that has been done or will be done if you continue to drink alcohol. I'm at nearly 5 days now and had the same feelings as you around the 2 day mark, I know what I have to do and I'm gonna take it one day at a time. Your already a winner with the decision you have made so now you build on it and keep winning until the drink is a distant memory (or nightmare)