Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 2

Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopingForZen View Post
It's the alcoholic voice -- the little inner voice that tries to convince you that just one would be fine.....
Ahhhh, duh. THANK YOU! My brain is still clearing up. Yes, that is a voice I have heard over and over....and over again. Now it has a name.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
I almost caved tonight. I almost walked a few blocks down the street to the corner liquor store.

Instead - i made a peanut butter sandwich and washed that down with a glass of blueberry kefir.

What a difference just getting food in your system makes. All is well now, crisis diverted.
Congrats on your resolve tonight. I am a foodie too but was drinking so much beer my stomach didn't have much room left. Only been 3 days so far but I already notice stuff tastes better.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by Melacole View Post
Ahhhh, duh. THANK YOU! My brain is still clearing up. Yes, that is a voice I have heard over and over....and over again. Now it has a name.
Melacole, there is a long and interesting/compelling discussion of AVRT (addictive voice recognition technique) in the Secular Connections section of this forum. Scroll down on the main page and you'll find it.

The concepts are simple but they were hard to get my head around since I tend to overthink things. But several months on, I find that I now seem to really get it. This approach has allowed me to stop struggling against compulsion and instead to simply see it for what it is. Words are not sufficient to describe the peace/relief this has given me.

For people who are looking to make a plan for the future, this is an option you might want to consider.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Went to a line dancing class and it was boring and tedious (and embarrassing) without a drink in me. Now GF is wondering why I seem depressed. I don't want to tell her that the fun me was the inebriated me (but I think she knows it). Day 7 and I guess I'm just tired and a little sleep deprived, tomorrow is another day!

Thanks for the info. on "AV" and all the "empties" stories - I would save them up in the closet, wrap them in brown paper bags, and put them in the garbage while pumping gas. I'm sure some people thought it was weird that my garbage made such a loud CLUNK! Embarrassing, yes, but it's funny how even that ritual gave me a kind of satisfaction!?!?
: )

Good night from the West Coast, another day forward for the Class!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Checking in before bed. The recycle bin empties totally hit home with me. I started wrapping them in plastic bags then throwing them in with the regular trash bin instead of the recycle bin I was so paranoid someone would find them.

Today is the end of Day 9 for me. I got a little teary-eyed at work over some stuff going on there but fought it back and made it through the day without losing it. Had a nice dinner with some family and my husband, husband had a large beer (it was celebrating a promotion he got), I was happy to drink my iced tea and safely drive him to and from the dinner after all of the times he's had to drive me around. He asks me what I'm doing on the computer, I told him I'm reading on a non-drinking forum, that seems to be enough for him to know at this time.

Good night to some of you and good morning to those just waking up.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Lunetta View Post
Checking in before bed. The recycle bin empties totally hit home with me. I started wrapping them in plastic bags then throwing them in with the regular trash bin instead of the recycle bin I was so paranoid someone would find them.

Today is the end of Day 9 for me. I got a little teary-eyed at work over some stuff going on there but fought it back and made it through the day without losing it. Had a nice dinner with some family and my husband, husband had a large beer (it was celebrating a promotion he got), I was happy to drink my iced tea and safely drive him to and from the dinner after all of the times he's had to drive me around. He asks me what I'm doing on the computer, I told him I'm reading on a non-drinking forum, that seems to be enough for him to know at this time.

Good night to some of you and good morning to those just waking up.
Congrats on being strong and your upcoming double digit day!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yestofreedom View Post
hard day
miserable news
only going to be harder if i drink tonight
too tired for gym
why wont this train start moving
world seems to be moving quicker than i can keep up
up one day, down the next
so true about
dealing with your problems you cover up with alcohol
facing them now
I'm with you all the way here, ytf - this is exactly how I feel. How can I have been so irresponsible with money, so flagrantly self-centred, so bl**dy unaware of some things that really matter, and so on. It's all hitting me now (Day 10). If it wasn't for the support I get here, I'd have numbed the pain by now. But it just isn't worth it. I guess this is where the rubber hits the road...

Thanks for your posting and hang in there with me and the others.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

10 Days Tomorrow

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on being strong and your upcoming double digit day!
Thank you Scott!! You posting that just made me realize that I will have 10 days tomorrow, which is a milestone for me! Thank you that made my night, now I can go to bed with a smile on my face.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
Hello all, this is my first post. This is the first time I've ever joined a forum, so I hope this works. In more ways than one. I've been reading your January posts, and I would like to join your lovely group. I'm on day eight, and so far so good. I've had the night sweats and the cravings...and am drinking herbal tea by the gallons. I've kept up with my exercise (easier to go to the gym without the hangover). Sleep was rocky at first, but lately it's been nothing short of delicious.

Thanks to all of you for your honesty and dedication. I'm shy and may not say much, but I'm cheering for you all in my heart and in my prayers.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Walk of shame ... so true. Rearranging the contents so that the liquor bottles were on the bottom and the soda cans on top. Difficult to do some weeks.

Little things like that ... make you realize what a grip alcohol can have on a person.
We recycle paper and bottles together where I live in Aus. Easy - just wrap the bottles in paper and no more rattling! Until one day the bin gets pushed over and all the wrapped up bottles roll out onto the ground. I think I totally lost the respect of my youngest son that day. All those lies and deceit and subterfuge ... no more!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
We recycle paper and bottles together where I live in Aus. Easy - just wrap the bottles in paper and no more rattling! Until one day the bin gets pushed over and all the wrapped up bottles roll out onto the ground. I think I totally lost the respect of my youngest son that day. All those lies and deceit and subterfuge ... no more!
Hi from a fellow Aussie. We don't even have recycling where I live. Sorry, off topic lol.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

I actually was driving my empties to the bottle depot... I guess I'm too stingy... beats the embarrassment. The amount of bottles people bring there... mine looked pretty tame in comparison. And mixed with the soda water bottles (my husband drinks oceans of soda water daily) it looked almost respectable.

Anyways, good night or good morning to everyone, whatever it is for you! Thank you for all your support! Stay strong and have fun on a clear head! I'm off to bed, have an early class tomorrow (7am public transit, here I come).
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Nice job on day 9 and your upcoming day 10!
Thanks Scott. Now here's a laugh...there was me thinking you were "Scott from the Women's Institute" and I am thinking you got the wrong forum. Just goes to show how dumb we Europeans can be when it comes to all things American!!

I know there are a few of us hitting double figures today so here is a message to all of you

On the subject of empties, isn't it so damn weird that we are concerned about what the trashman might think of us? I know I was the same with buying alcohol. I used to use at least 5 different supermarkets to make sure the checkout girls couldn't keep tabs on just how much I was buying. There was one I used to use which was damn near a 30km round trip!! And then, after protecting all those people we don't even know, we get fall down drunk in front of the ones we love?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post
Evening all! Welcome to the new guys. This place is awesome, you should stick around :-)

Day 7 done with few problems apart from my ongoing family stuff. Might be having a family session tomorrow with my mum and the psychologist (don't know yet if the psych will go for it or say she thinks it's a bad idea). Means that tonight has been spent with my mum making lists of all the problems she wants to discuss. Which is fair enough apart from the fact that the accusations and blame are flying around like bullets and I feel like I'm having to defend myself constantly. If this is the dress rehearsal for tomorrow I'll do well to get through without drinking which is ridiculous as that's what we're meant to be addressing. But if I tell my folks now that I think it will be counter-productive they'll say I don't want to get help/ better. Am mentally exhausted and this is the first night in 7 I've gone to bed thinking that tomorrow can only be worse not better.
Be strong, Kam. Show them you're serious! Tomorrow can't be worse because you'll have conquered another day sober. We're all there with you.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
Thanks Scott. Now here's a laugh...there was me thinking you were "Scott from the Women's Institute" and I am thinking you got the wrong forum. Just goes to show how dumb we Europeans can be when it comes to all things American!!

I know there are a few of us hitting double figures today so here is a message to all of you

On the subject of empties, isn't it so damn weird that we are concerned about what the trashman might think of us? I know I was the same with buying alcohol. I used to use at least 5 different supermarkets to make sure the checkout girls couldn't keep tabs on just how much I was buying. There was one I used to use which was damn near a 30km round trip!! And then, after protecting all those people we don't even know, we get fall down drunk in front of the ones we love?
Woo hoo day 10 so happy I could cry. And yes I used to go to lots of different shops to buy drink too. Thankfully kids have never seen mee out of my tree and now they won't get the chance.

1 drink to me is one evening drinking binge not 1 glass. When I start I can't stop so the answer is give it up totally.

Going on an autism awareness course on Saturday it will be the first one I will have attended totally acohol free. Should be interesting.

Welcome to all newbies on here it is an amazing group.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post

So true, bounced! You can't buy grog in supermarkets here, so it was always off to the bottle shop for me. Boy, did I shop around! But they all knew me and, maybe it was paranoia, but I was sure they guessed every two bottles I bought were for me alone. I didn't tend to buy in bulk because hiding a couple was tricky enough. I have sons so my underwear drawer was a favourite spot -knew that would never be raided! Agh, listening to myself - disgusting!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Good Morning day 10 and I love counting the days I done the same when I gave up smoking to a point, it was 6 months yesterday.

Any way last night while doing the dishes with my husband said to me "it's been a week today" with a huge smile on his face (I was thinking a week, it's 9 days....sssh shut up and wait) I said a week for what? he repiled "a week since my last drink". I was so chuffed he was also counting his days whoo hoo I could ask him how he feels. We talked very breifly (small steps)

We were each others drinking buddies but the last 12 months I have tried to make him see how much of a problem it was causing both of us and he would never accept it, he was always a happy drunk where I was the evil drunk and because everyone we know have almost have the same drinking habbits it was very hard for him to believe either of us could be alcoholics.

Before christmas we talked about our plans for the new year, I told him I was quiting drinking forever, I want new friends and new hobbies, he said he wanted to cut down on the amount he drinks but would never cut it out altogether. Since the 1st Jan we have not talked about drinking but we have both been keeping ourselves busy and sober.

It took me a long time to realise how much of a problem I had with alcohol I'm hoping because I have highlighted the issues and with time he will see the benefits and decided to live a sober life with me
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Wishing you all a wonderful sober day

Rosieblue - well done on taking charge of your finances. Do you feel more postive now? We'r in a huge amount of debt and I have always ignored it and numbed it out with alcohol but of coures the debts have increased.

Whodey - I also take great pleasure in putting the recycling bins out with no empties in there

Midlifecrisis - Your doing amazing with 5 kids in tow. I have two and they can be a struggle at times.

Kam00096 - I'm sorry your having family trouble but I know exactly how you feel and it's hard being constantly criticized. Try to stay positive they are trying so that is something, fingers crossed it's not as bad as you expect and you get to have your say too. My parents have not spoke to me for 8 weeks and it's breaking my heart they turned their back on me and the grandchildren when I'm in such a desperate place.

Happy Birthday Aphid, I do hope you have a nice day.

Welcome all newbies to the class, there is so much support and understanding here, it really helpped me get through the first couple of days. Keep posting.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good morning,alll - and a very happy birthday to Aphid!

Dorris, loved reading about your husband's announcement. You are wise to have waited for what he had to say!

I'm on Day 5 x 2. So using the new math, I've done ten, surely I can do another ten.
Whatever Day it is for all of you, I wish you a good one and many more!

MTN, did I beat you up this morning?!?
JimJim, I am hoping to hear from you very soon.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I have been walking about 4km nearly every day since about October. After being a real couch potato, I am soooo enjoying it now. It gives me a really private hour to get my thoughts straight.

Anyway, this morning I started preparing and practising my response as follows:

No thanks, I'm on a 3 month detox
No thanks, I'm driving
No thanks, I still have a bit of work to do later

Pretty soon I had run out of ideas and I was thinking

No thanks.....errr.....No thanks....ummm....No thanks...hey, that should do it!!! Much simpler. Why do I feel the need to qualify it at all?

No thanks!