Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 2

Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLife2013 View Post
Congrats! The recycling bin was my walk of shame. I hated putting that thing out at the curb with so many liquor bottles in it.

Mine goes out tonight too, and it is also free of the devil's bottle collection.
Walk of shame ... so true. Rearranging the contents so that the liquor bottles were on the bottom and the soda cans on top. Difficult to do some weeks.

Little things like that ... make you realize what a grip alcohol can have on a person.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Evening all! Welcome to the new guys. This place is awesome, you should stick around :-)

Day 7 done with few problems apart from my ongoing family stuff. Might be having a family session tomorrow with my mum and the psychologist (don't know yet if the psych will go for it or say she thinks it's a bad idea). Means that tonight has been spent with my mum making lists of all the problems she wants to discuss. Which is fair enough apart from the fact that the accusations and blame are flying around like bullets and I feel like I'm having to defend myself constantly. If this is the dress rehearsal for tomorrow I'll do well to get through without drinking which is ridiculous as that's what we're meant to be addressing. But if I tell my folks now that I think it will be counter-productive they'll say I don't want to get help/ better. Am mentally exhausted and this is the first night in 7 I've gone to bed thinking that tomorrow can only be worse not better.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi Greensleaves and Aems, this is a great group so welcome !

Whodey, yep its a total relief not to worry about getting rid of the empties anymore it was one of the things I used to get paranoid about, that somebody would look in my bin and see them all, like somebody would doh!!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Walk of shame ... so true. Rearranging the contents so that the liquor bottles were on the bottom and the soda cans on top. Difficult to do some weeks.

Little things like that ... make you realize what a grip alcohol can have on a person.
LOL. Rearranging was a dilemma. I never knew whether I wanted the other stuff on top or not....because I figured the trashmen would see the liquor bottles if they were on the bottom! But, yeah, often there was no covering them up anyway.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Aphid!!!:day1
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Given I was hiding mine, I couldn't even do the recycling bin walk of shame. I had to hide them in my car and drive to local areas where there was a public garbage can where I could throw stuff away. Sounds so sick when I say it out loud. Gratitude check for today: I am thankful today I do not have to worry about someone finding my empties and not having to drive around looking for a place to stash them. Thanks for sharing everyone!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by halfvictory View Post
getting towards the end of day 4. Wednesdays, as I've mentioned before, are my down nights and I used to relax with a bunch of beers. struggling right now thinking about tonight.

will need to be back on here later for help. thanks everyone so far. good luck tonight class.
Halfvictory, evenings and nights are usually the worst for me too...regardless of the day of the week... Now I have a cup of tea glued to my hand after 6 pm, bought 7 new kinds of tea today, it's good to have a choice. Think positive and don't give in to urges. If you have something you always wanted to do but never had time to because you were choosing a drink instead...it's a great time to do it now. Don't just plan how you can make positive changes in your life, use that time to make these changes.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, Aphid!

And welcome Greensleaves and Aems!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

WhoDey, seems you struck a chord with disposing the empties. I was just thinking tonight how great it will be tomorrow to take out the recycling completely devoid of liquor bottles. And yeah, I also sometimes carried the empties with me to dispose of elsewhere. And there was that one memorable occassion when it was SO windy that I drove back home after I was five minutes away to make sure the can was still standing so my empty wouldn't show. It is strangely comforting to know I was not alone in this neurosis.

Scott, I'm also from WI, though I don't live there anymore. It's good to have company, aina?

Welcome new peeps, it's good to have you join us.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Welcome, to aems, greensleeves, aphid, and anyone else I've missed, amd congrats to everyone -- we are all really making great progress! I'm not catching everything but trying to keep up with what I can, and I'm really proud of all of us!

The best thing I've experienced in the last couple of days is such better sleep! Some weird dreams, but mostly just catching up on good rest. I really did not realize how much my sleep was disrupted and not restful.

To those posting about the AV voice diminishing, and how things seem better/easier than with all our (many, in my case) past attempts at quitting, I can honestly say that is the case with me as well today. Just feeling more at peace. More resolved.

Also, I'm continuing to try to focus on all the many reasons not to drink in an effort to cover up that AV voice. So I try to keep internal thoughts going like this, "Yes, I don't drink because I'm an alcoholic, and because I'm losing weight, and because my mood is lifting, and because I'm getting better sleep, and because my eyes are not bloodshot, and because I was not a grump with my kids today, and because...."

One week today. Have a great night everybody.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post
Evening all! Welcome to the new guys. This place is awesome, you should stick around :-)

Day 7 done with few problems apart from my ongoing family stuff. Might be having a family session tomorrow with my mum and the psychologist (don't know yet if the psych will go for it or say she thinks it's a bad idea). Means that tonight has been spent with my mum making lists of all the problems she wants to discuss. Which is fair enough apart from the fact that the accusations and blame are flying around like bullets and I feel like I'm having to defend myself constantly. If this is the dress rehearsal for tomorrow I'll do well to get through without drinking which is ridiculous as that's what we're meant to be addressing. But if I tell my folks now that I think it will be counter-productive they'll say I don't want to get help/ better. Am mentally exhausted and this is the first night in 7 I've gone to bed thinking that tomorrow can only be worse not better.
Kam, I'm thinking about you! That sounds really tough. I know how the accusations can fly with family, and that kind of stuff is really draining. Just know that you can do it, and as soon as you get out of your session you can log on here and vent and someone will be here to listen.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

It's weird. The last two evenings I've felt huge cravings. I'm on day 9, and days 1 thru 6 were fairly easy, but 7 and 8 were touch and go. Then this afternoon I noticed a certain calm. The beast wasn't acting up. Maybe I've gotten used to being back at work? Maybe certain triggers weren't around today? It makes me wonder what my triggers are, exactly. I know the first day was work related. I had an annoying meeting and just wanted to drink my feelings away. Then yesterday I think it was a girl. We have a flirtatious relationship, and even tho I'm very happy in my relationship with my GF, I felt this urge to just go out and get drunk with this girl. I think for me, girls can be just as intoxicating as booze. So I think somehow this was a trigger for me.

Anyway, I survived. And today was calm. Happy for that. Looking forward to a good sleep and an awesome morning run.

Stay strong peeps!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Aphid! 7

I wanted to be the first to wish you a fabulous day today, even from half way across the world.

You can do this. Your life is exactly what you make it be.

Wishing you the best from the States.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by terrazinaa View Post
Hello Aphid!
...I guess it really depends on the whole story, and how many times he trusted you and you betrayed his trust. May be just give him some quiet space for now... and work on yourself, and improving your life. Instead of bringing more negative emotions, anger and tears into the relationships, just do things that make you feel positive. Good mood is contagious.
At least that's what I am trying to do, doesn't always work, but I see the improvement.
Really excellent post.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aems View Post
I began a 60 day taper from Norco the end of December. I'm into day 13 day and on schedule with the taper. Will I fit in here?
What's a taper?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
Hello all, this is my first post. This is the first time I've ever joined a forum, so I hope this works. In more ways than one. I've been reading your January posts, and I would like to join your lovely group. I'm on day eight, and so far so good. I've had the night sweats and the cravings...and am drinking herbal tea by the gallons. I've kept up with my exercise (easier to go to the gym without the hangover). Sleep was rocky at first, but lately it's been nothing short of delicious.

Thanks to all of you for your honesty and dedication. I'm shy and may not say much, but I'm cheering for you all in my heart and in my prayers.

Welcome Greensleeves! I love your green bird avatar!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Umm.....so question from the newbie....what's 'AV'?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

It's the alcoholic voice -- the little inner voice that tries to convince you that just one would be fine.....
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
WhoDey, seems you struck a chord with disposing the empties. I was just thinking tonight how great it will be tomorrow to take out the recycling completely devoid of liquor bottles. And yeah, I also sometimes carried the empties with me to dispose of elsewhere. And there was that one memorable occassion when it was SO windy that I drove back home after I was five minutes away to make sure the can was still standing so my empty wouldn't show. It is strangely comforting to know I was not alone in this neurosis.

Scott, I'm also from WI, though I don't live there anymore. It's good to have company, aina?

Welcome new peeps, it's good to have you join us.
My trick since I only drank beer was to crush the cans and stash them inside the charcoal grill until it was nearly overflowing, and then secretly haul them off to recycling on a trip somewhere else, usually grabbing another 12 or 18 pack on the way back. Pathetic but true!

Still living here in wi obladi, it will be different watching the Packer game this weekend sober! I plan on making that my day 6 achievement, but still finishing off day 3 tonight first
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

I almost caved tonight. I almost walked a few blocks down the street to the corner liquor store.

Instead - i made a peanut butter sandwich and washed that down with a glass of blueberry kefir.

What a difference just getting food in your system makes. All is well now, crisis diverted.