Notices

Had Enough Now: An Admission

Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I initially cut myself some slack re junk food; my reasoning was that it was better to throw my AV a couple donuts than a couple bottles of wine! But recently I've been getting more disciplined about diet. After all, one of the reasons I quit drinking was to improve my health.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Im with you Natom and everyone who wants to make changes!
I am going to cut right back on coffee and start upping my nutrients.
This morning I have started with a fruit and yogurt smoothie, with All One powder and and iron supplement. This should kick start my energy level in a good way !
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been trying to work "green smoothies" into my diet. The idea is to mix fruit and greens (eg spinach, kale, etc) together to painlessly get more greens into the diet. So far the only one that's palatable to me is cilantro- for whatever reason I really like that in a smoothie.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Natom, thank you for your support, What you eat definitely makes a difference to the way you feel. Although I've been a drinker for years, I always made sure I had a healthy enough diet. (course ignoring the fact that booze was poison) fish chicken fruit veg seeds etc. I suspect I would be dead long ago if it wasn't for that. Maybe I'm wrong. I've always taken a daily multivitamin as well. All the best Natom. x
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I used to drink my coffee black. Now i have all the matching creamers to the flavored k cups.
I would rather cut off my thumbs than give up coffee, but i certainly can cut the sugar by 50%.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Wow, didn't expect this thread to get this many posts. Looks like the revolution has started. Viva la revolution!!?!?!?!?! But seriously we all need to be healthy now lol.

Natom.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Natom. Great decision!

I'm kind of health eating freak, but since I quitted wine I've ben indulging myself on cookies too much. I'm with you on this NY challenge)

Best wishes.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I've made a decision to start my day with two normal coffees and then switch to green tea. But I love the taste of coffee so I am going to invest in some decaff. Now I am pretty sure there is a correlation between it....I have been drinking lots of green tea and my wee smells horrible. I assume the horrible wee smell is all the crap being passed through. I don't feel that rough today. I'm a bit tired. I don't expect miracle results. I'm going to phone my local gym up earlier and see if I can get there cheap membership that allows me to go off-peak for free. And I actually ate breakfast this morning too lol. It's a start.

Natom.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I find eating right is harder than stopping drinking. No one questions my poor choices. It still feels like I am hurting myself. Which was the goal of drinking for me. And the guilt is still there. I have gone to McDonald's and got two Big Macs. Just because I wanted to numb. Silly huh?

I am a skinny guy but probably should not be... Lol

You sound like you want to take care of yourself. That's cool. But go slow. I hope you post with how you are doing through it.

K
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
LDT

Good idea Natom. As the saying goes, " garbage in, garbage out."

Come check out the Healthy Eating thread here. Lots of great ideas exchanged there. I've learned a lot from my fellow sober, healthy eaters.

And remember.... it takes about 3 weeks to change a habit.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats on a great and healthy decision. I too have been guilty of drinking way too many energy drinks (Monster). All those ingredients that I can't pronounce probably are not too good for me. Not to mention how expensive those silly things are!

I agree with the taper approach on coffee. Cold turkey causes me terrible, all-day-long headaches. Cutting back helps with that but I still felt terrible and without energy for at least a couple of weeks or more.

I wish you the best and hope you find what works for you. I have settled out at about 1/2 a pot of coffee a day which is ok in my book. My bigger decision that has really seemed to help with energy level and overall good, healthy feeling is a diet that cut out all sugar and grains/flower. Sort of a modified Paleo approach. In my case, this has been the "difference maker" that I really feel each day.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe Grandma had it right. Everything in moderation, eat a well balanced diet, and exercise. I take a multi-vitamin as well. Just like sobriety using supplements are us addicts looking for a quick fix to a cronic problem.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm jumping on this health train as well--not the least because I just had my gall bladder out and my doctor biopsied my liver because it was enlarged. He's a bit theatrical so I hope it's just fatty or, a new term, N.A.S.H. But I've done some research and I have to start working on this.

But this morning I woke up early and took my vitamins (e, c, and a multi) and was so close to becoming ill I could only drink hot water until I dilluted that stuff.

I will have my cheerios, and this week my first commitment is to have a piece of fruit with each meal. Seems doable, right?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No colas (diet or otherwise for me). Water or coffee. Not in that order. I have cut down my consumption of coffee from two POTS a day to 4-5 cups. I match them one for one with big glasses of water.
I have been eating healthy since my diabetes diagnosis several years ago. At least I was wise in one respect. Being mildly OCD, I plan my menues for the entire day. No excuse for me to stray in that respect.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Tom, you have inspired me to follow your lead with this. My diet is seriously dreadful.... No sugary drinks mind you but 'food', if you can call it that, overloaded with sugar with sweets, chocolates and biscuits being pretty much my staple diet most days.
As from tomorrow, no sugar for me.
Big sigh as I typed that!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you shared! Since I've been sober (almost 2 months) I've turned to energy drinks to get my buzz. But, like alcohol, I can feel good for only so long before it starts taking a toll on me. And it certainly does nothing for my anxiety I'm glad to hear you're admitting your problem, and seeking change!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I drink 2-3 cups of coffee and at least one energy drink everyday. I eat a lot of sugar lately too with the holidays and it isn't good. Thank you for calling my / our attention to this! I don't smoke cigarettes thank God because I would have that to contend with as well... All of those habbits make us feel crappy. I need to cut down too.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I read on the internet (so it must be true lol ) that lemon juice is supposed to detoxify your liver. So I bought a bunch of lemons. I squeeze one everyday. I just hold my breath and drink it. I don't know if it's working or not. If suffering is part of healing then I am on it man.