Notices

New feelings

Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New feelings

I have just left rehab and am finding all kinds of physical ailments. I cant sleep and don't know what to do with myself.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome seniorcitizen,

You'll find plenty of support here. I don't have experience with rehab, but many others do. Many of us have trouble sleeping in early sobriety, but it does get better.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR seniorcitizen

I found volunteering was a great way to fill my days in the beginning. Would you consider that?

Like Pondlady says, not sleeping is pretty common for most of us in the beginning too, but it usually settles down.

If it's concerning you tho, or annoying you, why not see a Dr?

D
Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi SC. Yes, definitely I had trouble sleeping. Also was fidgety and felt like a fish out of water. All the weirdness passed - and I felt a bit better every day.

Give yourself chance to heal, and don't get discouraged. Congratulations on going to rehab and wanting a fresh start.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Nice to hear you are making positive steps in the right direction. What you are experiencing right now is normal. I and many others experience anxiety and insomnia for a good while. It's simply allowing our body to properly heal. You can also think of it as your addiction trying to trick you into thinking that you NEED something to alleviate the stress. You most likely just need to let your body reset.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did 5 weeks de- tox in 94; all manner of weird aftermath feeling can be expected.
A return to the dog that bit you will temporarily alleviate such but only get you back to where you were. Better just to let the body take its own time to re asjust.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 Early recovery can be a rough road for a while. Give yourself time to heal; rest, exercise, and good food, and you'll be feeling a lot better.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey senior,

I'm really just going to echo what other people have said. When I got back from rehab I felt bad both physically and mentally for a bit. I had nothing to do. My mind used to wonder. I made lists. I made structure. I did whatever I could to fill the time.

Natom.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the same problems. It goes away after awhile. Be positive and look for odd jobs to do around home. For me idle time was evil, my mind would wonder off and some of the b.s.I laugh about now. Crazy time but I'm for certain that I'm in a better place physically and mentally. But still working. Keep to your program and reading on here.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi SeniorCitizen: I am 9 months sober and exhausted. My support group keeps telling me nobody ever died of exhaution but I don't believe them. However, I have had periods of extreme activity, like nesting, for the moms out there, which I also hear is normal.
Although I have not yet mastered the schedule, it has been suggested to me that I settle into a good schedule, including good sleep habits, spiritual morning and evening habits have also been suggested and have made a difference to my sobriety. There is a five day a week meeting not far from my house and I like knowing it is there even if I don't go everyday and having an AM coffee buddy a day or two a week is a great isolation breaker.
Good luck - keep in touch with others - I find it difficult but key!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had difficulty sleeping the first few weeks, and still do every now and then. Also, like Hevyn, I felt fidgety, especially at night. It does get better with time.