Notices

Went to my first meeting tonight.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my first meeting tonight.

Well, I made it to the first meeting. I sat in the car for a while in the parking lot wondering if I could do it. I was very nervous and didn't really do any talking. I guess I'm still kicking myself for letting my drinking get to this point and feeling down. I guess I can be proud of myself for getting my butt in there and listening to everything everyone had to offer, right?

As far as AA is concerned, there were quite a few people there, seemed like an upbeat group that offers a lot of support - I like that. But..... and this is just me being a newbie to all of this.... I didn't realize it was so focused on God and prayer. I'm agnostic/atheist, is AA for me? I don't want to fake my way through this and I certainly don't want to lie to anyone or myself about my beliefs or lack thereof.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As long as you are not militant about your beliefs you will do fine.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA but from what I understand different meetings & different groups can have different atmospheres...

maybe shop around for one that suits you better, if thats an option?

D
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not in AA but from what I understand different meetings & different groups can have different atmospheres...

maybe shop around for one that suits you better, if thats an option?

D
That is an option, to an extent. I know they say that the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking, but I really got the feeling that there is also a requirement to believe in God.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

There is a chapter in the AA book specifically addressed to agnostics. Its called “WE Agnostics” (emphasis mine). There is NO requirement for membership except a desire to stop drinking. As long as you can tolerate other people’s beliefs, when they differ from your own, you will be fine. It sounds like you are honest about your beliefs and I think you may find that if you express them as honestly as you did here, nobody will have a problem with the fact that you hold them.

I would suggest you let folks know you're new when you attend your next meeting.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
There is a chapter in the AA book specifically addressed to agnostics. Its called “WE Agnostics” (emphasis mine). There is NO requirement for membership except a desire to stop drinking. As long as you can tolerate other people’s beliefs, when they differ from your own, you will be fine. It sounds like you are honest about your beliefs and I think you may find that if you express them as honestly as you did here, nobody will have a problem with the fact that you hold them.

I would suggest you let folks know you're new when you attend your next meeting.
Great, thank you very much for the info.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

time, good oto see ya went. please dont let the misconception of the god thing drive ya away. there is even a chapter in the big book titled "we agnostics."
yup, lots of God talk, but iffen ya talk to them people, you'll find many different conceptions of a higher power. it is definately not a requirement to believe in god.
honesty, openmindedness, and willingness are indispensible.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

looks like awuh already said what i said!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Give it a read...Lots of agnostics/atheists have gotten sober in AA...No reason you can't too.

Page 44
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for going and for talking with your wife earlier today.....both good steps I attended AA the summer of 2011. Although I didn't work the steps and have a sponsor, I have such respect and gratitude for AA - they were incredibly kind and supportive.

Last edited by Pondlady; 12-28-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Give it a read...Lots of agnostics/atheists have gotten sober in AA...No reason you can't too.

Page 44
A lot of agnostic/atheists have become believers over time as well. Keep an open mind.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on the big decisions you've made in the last couple of days. I have decided to stay away from AA because of the "higher power" emphasis as well, and have found many other useful options on SR. I use this site a lot as my main therapy. Check out the secular forums: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/

There are lots of different techniques to use that you can learn about here, AVRT, Urge Surfing, etc. as well as other group options to research ( SMART). Tons of books are available as well, I am currently reading "How to Quit Drinking Without AA" by Jerry Dorsman, it is good so far. Spend a lot of time here posting and lurking & I'm sure you'll find something that fits. Join the December classmates & share that bond.

Good luck, you've made the right decisions & come to the right place!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I personally believe in God (as a Christian) and found AA's definition of God over the past 6 months to greatly differ than my beliefs. I'm definitely ok with that. I only attended a few meetings as my local group seemed a bit, ummm, depressed and disgrunteled. Not uplifting. But, I'll tell you what I found incredibly helpful when I was where you were. (even sitting in the car, debating to go in, them finding it all a little strange...) - I read the big book. The AA book. I found lots of stories of people who were at one point where I am and where they ended up. Even if you decide AA isn't for you read the book. You can do it in private and it's super enlightening. And I'm not a big reader.

I'm always typing on my phone... Sorry for spelling and grammatical goofs. Ive found this forum incredibly uplifting and helpful. Thanks all.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice/info.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I think the other AA's covered it..

I am just here to say glad you went , and just keep that open mind..

Plus you will here ... Keep coming back.. , I like to say Just stay its easier..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One of my best friends in AA is an atheist. I'm in the bible belt too and there is the occasional AAer that shares too much about Jesus for my taste, but then again the next guy will cuss like a sailor on shore leave - you won't see that at church.

Also, try different meetings as Dee suggested. Each meeting is different and has its own personality.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.