Notices

12/21/12

Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12/21/12

Well...here it is, another new day. Since the world didn't end after all the rumors, this seems like a splendid day to start anew. I figured if I wrote it down, said it out loud so to speak, in front of God and everybody here, maybe I would stand a better chance of actually following through. I REALLY need to stop drinking. I have promised myself so many times that I wouldn't take another drink. Then my work day ends and I begin the drive home. I think my car actually knows the way to the liquor store! I find myself bargaining for a "step down" plan. LOL and I break my promise to myself. So...what I am hoping is if I say it out loud and in front of others, I will put some teeth in to my promise to myself. I think it's time to find a new route home, a new routine when I get home and a new start. One that doesn't begin the day with a hangover and end the day sleeping in the recliner after a half dozen beers. So I am starting my new calendar today and thank you all for being here as it really does make me feel better knowing you are here to share your trials and successes.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Sounds like as good of a day as any to live for..

I will join you in that..
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR New! You'll find a done of support here.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

What is your plan to stay sober? I made a promise to myself that June 1st was the last day I would drink or I was heading right to AA. Amazingly, I haven't had a drink since.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! You will find lots of support here.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome about the sober train... We are glad you are here!!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you for the support. did well for a week or so, then new years eve came and I made myself a bargain that wasn't such a deal. struggling. any tips on resisting wrapping your paws around the beer the spouse has in the fridge?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You're going to have to learn new habits to make it stick. Would your spouse consider keeping beer out of the fridge for now? Also, try to stop looking at booze as a reward or tool for celebration.That's when a lot of slips happen.
You can do this!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Start by getting the beer out of the fridge. No reason to have temptation staring you in the face every time you want a snack.
After that, make a plan. Of course, not picking up the first drink is a good start. There are as many ways to become sober as there are people. Spend a little time looking into some of the more prevelant methods-AA, Smart, AVRT, etc.
To some extent, I make a plan every day for staying sober. I start every day on SR. I meditate to my HP. I go to meetings and talk to my sponsor and other alcoholics every day. I know that I can't coast through this. For me, AA has saved my life. They have taught me skills for living that I somehow missed along the way.
Whatever you try, it's important to invest yourself in it. You have to want it and be willing to do anything to achieve it. Are you there yet?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can't ditch the beer can you ramp up the support you've been using?

I don't think any of us does this alone. If you're struggling I think it's important to reach out, find some outside help, and make some definitive changes?

post here more, think about things like AA, a 12 step alternative like SMART or some other recovery programme...things like that?

D
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You could post positive things about what rewards you will have by not drinking. Posting on the fridge would be a start.

gigi
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by New55 View Post
thank you for the support. did well for a week or so, then new years eve came and I made myself a bargain that wasn't such a deal. struggling. any tips on resisting wrapping your paws around the beer the spouse has in the fridge?
I am not a beer fan (although in college I managed to drink the cheap stuff just fine). My husband has beer in the refrigerator in the garage. I don't normally need to get anything out of there so I don't see it.

If it is a temptation to you talk to him about it and let him know.