Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Advice and help please ... palptitations - paroxysmal atrial fibrilation

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

Im 49 and have been drinking regulary since I was 17. In the last ten years more so. In my old job worked shifts were it was not possible to drink so I often went a week without drinking.

Over the last ten years been regularly drinking 4-6 440ml cans of 4.0% strength beer. I have had to stop work to due to being a carer for my partner in the slast twelve months. I have not really drunk more just stayed up later of a night same amount.

I have anxiety,high blood pressure ten years which has been reasonably well controlled. I have put weight on and am overweight. High GGT level Doctors said I must cut down on alcohol - said I could have a couple 2 units only a day and would reassess me.

The other night I was consuming lager (3 pints) lager is all that I drink save odd wine - no spirits ever. I was stuck by severe palpitations heart beats 150 -190 a minute so I had to be taken to hospital.

The Doctors got me back into a normal sinus rythmn - I am honest regarding intake. I decided to stop drinking once and for all if I can. I stopped recently for a week which is good for me. I started when my wife decided it was Saturday (Party time) and I fell back into the trap.

Im sorry I fell I really need to stop this drinking .. can anyone help with some advice, feel as Im having heart attack, anxious and more so after the other night I have to see a cardiologist soon.

I enjoy a drink it has helped me get through life in the past well that how it felt - anyone have a similar experience ??
Is it safe for me to just stop after drinking those amounts ????

4 days sober ...

Thank you ...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dont know an absolute answer my friend. I can tell you me. I am 51. Started drinking light around 20 something, 2 16 oz beers when I got home from work. It elevated to the point that in the recent weeks I drank all the time, morning noon and night. Never even caught a buzz. Stopped yesterday and went through hell last night.
Be careful please- its waiting for you, lot of people on here can help explain maybe.
Dub
Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi appollogod

It doesn't really sound like you're enjoying a drink to me.
3 pints is a lot above 2 units too.

but...I'm sorry - we cannot give medical advice here. It's against our rules.
Noone here knows your clinical history and noone here is a Doctor.

The best advice is I can give you anyway is to see your Dr again - or a different one if you feel a second opinion if needed.

D
Old 12-17-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry new here no intention of breaking the rules - just new and ignorant
Thank you seeeing my doctor tomorrow !
All the best and thanks again ...
Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

glad you found us!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Apollo

Welcome to our family.

I started to drink in my twenties - it was the solution to a bad day at work, a reward for something, just to be sociable or because it was saturday night.

That was not too bad.

But...everyday became a bad day and I ended up drinking far too much, often on an empty stomach. I did not take care of myself.

I often have pains in my chest that are most likely to be anxiety related, however they are none the less frightening.

Read here as much as you can. Read about addiction, dependancy, addictive voice recognition and understand it to help you. I would probably get as much advice from your cardiologist as possible too. Be open and honest about your drinking and what effect it is having on you. He will have seen and heard it all before so have no shame. Get as much advice as you can.

I am in the UK too and I believe our NHS is great and we have a lot of support available to us.

Your a carer and thats an important role.
You need to keep in tip top condition mate.
Someone needs you, someone relies on you and I expect you want to be there.

From most of the posts here that you read, you will see that alcoholism is a progressive disease.
Even if it is not at the stage of alcoholism yet, everyday drinking usually progresses as our tolerance increases. We need more and more alcohol to get the buzz we are chasing.

I hope you will keep coming back here and posting and reading.

I wish you the very best and hope your health starts to improve. xx
Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Apollo - Please stick around and keep posting. Let us know how it goes with your doctor.

SR will help ease the anxiety while you're learning to live without alcohol. I drank for 30 yrs. - so I understand what you're going through. You can do this.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries Apollo - I wasn't chasing you off the site
You'll still find a lot of support and encouragement here, medical advice or not.

D
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Thank you for your kind words .. this addiction thing is so strange. I started just like you. Ups and downs but have never really got into drinking more than I have stated.
Well I did when I was younger - Ihave cut fown. But up till the other night I have consistently drunk 4-6 cans of lager 4.0 %
I must have been quite functional and try to fulfil my role as best I can -
Just surprised I have not gone beyond the 4-6 thing .. really ?
All the best
AG
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't tempt yourself to go beyond that. I thought I was under control at that level. I lied to myself and others about that.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

apollo, i quit drinking for the exact symptoms that you are describing. racing heart, panic attacks, poor sleep, feelings of worry, gloom and doom. you do need to see a doctor. personal statement only, but i am 100% better now that i have quit drinking. improvement was dramatic. good luck my friend
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You do not need a doc to know what is necessary
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Apollogod, welcome to the SR family! You will find lots if support on here. I stopped drinking for good s little over two months ago, and this site has been my greatest support.

I would definitely see your doctor and then come up with a plan to fill the time you usually drank. I have been exercising a lot more, and reading a ton. You can do this!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support .. being here is taking some time up :-)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well here we are - 10th January
Not had a drink since being in hospital, 15/12/12

Palpitations have reduced in nature and frequency.

Cardiologist did all tests been on 72 hour monitor still waiting results.... but wasnt too worried ..

My anxiety levels have fallen and I dont feel as bad in that sense.

Im not working and I have been staying up quite late at night. I did miss a drink so I have been just drinking Beck Blue alcohol free to keep me from drinking Fosters. I find this a comfort .. and hvae not been tempted to guzzle real Fosters and dont really want to or want one if you know what I mean.

Been hard getting through Xmas and New Year without a drink as such but I think the Beck s blue has kept me off the drink.

I quite like them and I dont feel as bad , lost without my few drinks watching TV as I have the Beck Blue to hand.

Has anyone else used non alcohol beer to get off beers ????

Seen my Doctor who told me to stop the alcoholic drinks as my GGT test results were 118 (45 is the higher "Normal level) so after a long struggle feel like im getting there and a bit more in control.

I shouldnt say that should I ?? cos Im never been in control of this thing as much as I liked to think I was ... ???

So IM taking each day as it comes and hoping to find some voluntary work orwork as my anxiety symptoms have got better .. dont feel as bad

Hope I never have a drink again ... argghhh
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better

D
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whoever created this site has helped so many people ... I couldnt go on as I was. You are saving lives here with your community, support and advice - what a thing to do !

have not gone without drink for this long for many, many years ...

Thankfully GGT which is high should go down now .. (I Hope)

I have wasted so much of my life looking into a glass and done damage to my body and soul for way too long ..