Notices

Dreaming Drunk!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreaming Drunk!

I had the most crazy drunken dreams over the weekend.

I am pleased to report though when I was coming back to the real world I was so angry with myself even after I woke up I was thinking "what have you done!" now you have lost all that sober time and have to start again!

I'm glad I have these every now and then, it reminds me how much I don't want to drink and how terrible I would feel if I did and the best part is not having to deal with the consequences
Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've had very few and the worst of them were a few years in. Mostly though, it doesn't but me. I've heard some people say it really messed with them.

I feel the same as you, I like the reminder of how crappy it makes me feel.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

They're pretty common in the beginning...I never put much store into them meaning anything, but they are very intense...

D
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah they are pretty intense! I suppose I just take from it that because I am still in the beginning stages I think about it all the time so it's only natural to be thinking about it in my sleep!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

I've had a few dreams during these first few weeks of sobriety. It's usually me driving home from a bar drunk or waking up hungover and feeling positively racked with guilt for caving, trying to remember what happened earlier that night or the previous night as the case may be and that old familiar "did I make an ass of myself?" or "is she still talking to me?" feeling, etc. They're pretty vivid.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know hey, it takes a few minutes to calm down after you wake up!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get them too. It feels like an enormous relief when I realize I am still in bed still sober.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When drinking I would have a recurring dream. Or a nightmare if you would prefer to call it that.

It was set in a post apocalyptic world where buildings lay crumbled and the landscape was strewn with concrete, twisted steel and rubbish littered everywhere. It was dark the way it is after dusk but before dark. There were people but their faces were blurred and blackened to the point where recognition was impossible.

I was constantly being pursued by a very dark figure. This thing would pop up everywhere. Just when I thought I had shaken it it would appear around the corner, over my shoulder or from somewhere within me. At first it was annoying, until it became frustrating and then rapidly turned into terrifying when I realised this thing was actually out to kill me. This thing was trying to destroy me for what seemed like no apparent reason. It was both hugely perplexing and monstrous at the same time.

It was alcohol. I knew that even in the dream. Clambering over crushed cars, running though deserted dark streets, crawling thorough holes in the side of destroyed buildings with only minutes of relief and respite.....until I turned the next corner.

I would wake in cold sweats with my heart beat racing. I immediately knew that this dark evil thing stalking me was alcohol. It was relentless and was determined to eradicate me. Wipe me off the planet. It was patient and cunning. Persistent to the point of insanity. Impossible to negotiate with.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is definitely a nightmare
Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow Deluxe, that is vivid! Have they stopped?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea they stopped. Only had them 4 times or so but all within 2 weeks. All the same. What struck me most was that it was very very clear that something was sending me a very strong message. A view of what was to come. Very heavy dreams. Very much like something evil and external to me was intruding into my being at night during sleep. It almost seemed like alcohol was celebrating the progress it had made and was salivating over the devastion to come. A form of dark Grimm like glee.

Really weird stuff. Sorry to make it sound dramatic but it was like my soul was saying "hey...we're getting swamped in here and are well and truly loosing this battle". My busting dreams were lucid and scary and in a way healthy but these things were just plain heavy...like a visit from something very foreboding and dark.

They disappeared when I put down the vodka. Disappeared with the shakes, the vomiting and runs, the self loathing, shame, anger, pessimism and frustration.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yer my therapist warned me about the drunk dreams, i thought nar aint had them, until now!!! man the last one woke in a cold sweat really thought i had drank, but yer glad its showing me how much i want this,Three weeks and three days dry im shouting fromthe roof tops
Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JungleGirl View Post
I had the most crazy drunken dreams over the weekend.

I am pleased to report though when I was coming back to the real world I was so angry with myself even after I woke up I was thinking "what have you done!" now you have lost all that sober time and have to start again!

I'm glad I have these every now and then, it reminds me how much I don't want to drink and how terrible I would feel if I did and the best part is not having to deal with the consequences
Had to lmao - yeah, this happened to me a few times. It's that horrible horrible moment right after you wake up, but before you realise it was actually a dream - OH NO! OH PLEASE - PLEASE NOOOOOO!!! *thinks* Oh.

Funny, but only after hours of freaking out.

Probably the worst dreams EVER. Really freaking freaky scary terrifying... so terrifying.

But yes, they serve as a horrifically good reminder about why to not drink.

The good thing (imo) is it means your brain has started to get with the program, and it's decided to help just a little to keep you strong!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
When drinking I would have a recurring dream. Or a nightmare if you would prefer to call it that.

It was set in a post apocalyptic world where buildings lay crumbled and the landscape was strewn with concrete, twisted steel and rubbish littered everywhere. It was dark the way it is after dusk but before dark. There were people but their faces were blurred and blackened to the point where recognition was impossible.

I was constantly being pursued by a very dark figure. This thing would pop up everywhere. Just when I thought I had shaken it it would appear around the corner, over my shoulder or from somewhere within me. At first it was annoying, until it became frustrating and then rapidly turned into terrifying when I realised this thing was actually out to kill me. This thing was trying to destroy me for what seemed like no apparent reason. It was both hugely perplexing and monstrous at the same time.

It was alcohol. I knew that even in the dream. Clambering over crushed cars, running though deserted dark streets, crawling thorough holes in the side of destroyed buildings with only minutes of relief and respite.....until I turned the next corner.

I would wake in cold sweats with my heart beat racing. I immediately knew that this dark evil thing stalking me was alcohol. It was relentless and was determined to eradicate me. Wipe me off the planet. It was patient and cunning. Persistent to the point of insanity. Impossible to negotiate with.
OMFG. Thank you. I've had dreams like that.

"What is this that stands before me?
Figure in black pointing at me,
Satan sitting there he's smiling,
Watch as the flames get higher and higher,
Oh God, God, please help me!"