Notices

What to tell co-workers other than the truth or MYOB?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the responses! I agree that the majority of people at my job should get the vague "personal medical issue" response. I particularly like the acute exacerbation of a chronic condition suggestion as it is essentially truthful. There is one person who has been a friend before we worked together and who has had to take on some of my work in my absence ... well, I will think about whether or not I will disclose more to this one. I do have some time to decide as I will not be returning until the end of next month.

Aside from the awkwardness involved in my eventual return, having this leave to get the treatment that I need has made such a difference. I am grateful that I wasn't able to get up, dust myself off, and get back to work so quickly as I had done many times before. My job is so demanding of my time and energy that I was unable to establish any kind of balance and address my alcoholism. Simply I would come to do nothing about this disease. Nothing better assures a return to drinking than doing nothing!