Notices

Breaking the unbreakable

Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Breaking the unbreakable

When I was young I was very very naive. The pains of life took me by surprise.

My first heart break was not puppy love. It was not the loss of a fish or a turtle. It was not the loss of my favorite toy.

As a child of an alcoholic, as with so many others like me, that first break was searing. That first realization that the world was larger than bedtime and school.

Lessons came at me fast.

I learned to wrap myself tightly for protection.

As I grew and moved onward with the exuberance of youth I let that guard down to fall in love.

Again my naïveté paved the path to maturity. That sort of path can be painful to navigate but bountiful in lessons.

I reached a point of being unbreakable.

Until recently.

Alcoholics, as I am reading on SR, tend to understand at the molecular level what loss is all about.

Loss of self, loved ones, material things, self respect.

What distinguishes the survivor from the non survivor?

I just learned that accepting anything as unbreakable is certainly a fools journey. It has to break to be put together differently. My life.

Do nothing ... solve nothing. I kept trying desperately to solve addiction over there so as not to wake the baby.

More so the relationships that are toxic have finally eaten through and are burning deeply.

So it's time. Time to fully accept. Time to fully make the changes needed. Time to heal and move on.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes. The time is now.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

MI and sober..... I could not agree more.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are so strong Ken. You will make whatever changes necessary I know.

Our troubled pasts can cloud our judgements and thought processes, but they also make us resilient and adaptable.

I have faith in you x
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Has nothing to do with the thread but here is another Darwin quote

An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.
Charles Darwin
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
When I was young I was very very naive. The pains of life took me by surprise.

My first heart break was not puppy love. It was not the loss of a fish or a turtle. It was not the loss of my favorite toy.

As a child of an alcoholic, as with so many others like me, that first break was searing. That first realization that the world was larger than bedtime and school.

Lessons came at me fast.

I learned to wrap myself tightly for protection.
Yeah. So true, eh?! Been there I have. Cold and lonely ain't nothing when the fear is gone. Fear is the mind killer. Fear makes the hurt hurt more.

Becoming an alcoholic drinker when starting/being as a child is no joy either, yeah? Some hurts last forever, is my life experience. Still though, we can (must) yet venture forth even as we hold ourselves tight. Life is too short and sweet to waste it away

You're alright, Ken. You're waaaay on the otherside, imo. Past the point of play it again, Sam. You'll be okay. You got it going on. Honest Life Experience always trumps whatever mind-games played in addiction lala land, no problemo.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Robby. I have been at the line and I was not sure when I would step out. Not sure what would do it.

But I am glad I have the motivations now. The strength to know its right without that doubt. Without anything unsure about the decision.

That actually brings releief!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Change is inevitable, when i've tried to stop it in the past i've always ended up getting floored by it . These days i try to bend with the tides of life around me .

Learning to let things go in thier natural course can be emotionaly painful especially if our aspirations (future ego) is tied up with it .. but it's also liberating .

I think my unwillingness to accept the world as it was, to accept change, to understand there is more to the world than is dreamed of in your or my phillosophy was a big factor in the depression i had .

Keep making the right decisions and priorities for you Ken and i think you'll do fine ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you M,

I just never thought this would end up here. But then again I never knew how I would end up anyway. Enough has been left to the wind. Time to put up a sail and at least try for land.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If anyone can do it you can Ken :-) Wish you all the best. Have been away but am still reading---no solid advice to give as I am not in your shoes---but take care of yourself pleasex