Notices

Friend of Oxy Addict

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend of Oxy Addict

Hey guys, I was hoping I could get a little guidance here. A very good friend has been battling an oxy addiction for 2+ years (and was recently prescribed methadone as well) and I have nowhere to turn for advice; his pain management doctor of course won't talk to me because of HIPPA laws. His family has written him off and I'm kind of all he has.

Anyway, its gotten to the point where I've helped and helped and helped and finally decided I can't go on like this. Its draining me. I see the word "detach" being used a lot on the internet. What does it mean to stay a supportive friend and not enable him?

For example, when he calls me and tells me there's blood gushing out of his head and he doesn't know what happened should I agree to take him to the ER even though I know he's incoherent and hallucinating because of the drugs and that he will treat me like crap there because I bring up his oxy use to the doctors? Should I agree to take him to the ER when he's in serious withdrawal? Or should I tell him to deal with it himself?

Where is the line between friend and enabler???
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Sorry for what you are going through.

Originally Posted by Crestone View Post
Where is the line between friend and enabler???
I don't know, but wherever it is, an addict will try to cross it. I've had to say goodby to friends who were addicts. In my mind, they had made the choice to be an addict, which wasn't compatable to where I was in my life.

It's sad. But until this friend gets into recovery, there isn't much you can do. So you have to do what's good for you.

And please visit our Friends and Family section.
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information