Notices

Newbie here, and Im a mess.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey there GWH. When I stopped drinking the first time, my body took awhile to adjust back to normal. I was a mess. Skin was grey, I couldn't think straight, my legs were sore, belly bloated, digestion all screwed up ..... I stopped drinking, but had to remind myself that my body can't turn around overnight. I knew my ongoing drinking had affected all areas of "me" - from skin to organs to even my brain ....

... I liked to visualize my billions of microscopic cells slowly trying to heal, now that the poisoning has stopped. Every minute of every day that I don't drink alcohol, more cells heal, one at a time. Even when I had a glass of water or fruits and veggies, I'd visualize my little cells sucking them in, detoxing, and getting healthier .... and I knew that eventually it'd start showing in how I felt .... and it did.

Maybe that sounds silly .. all that visualization .. but it worked for me and helped me to feel less anxious about it all. It wasn't too long before I was feeling proactive and proud of my efforts, and then finally more energetic and healthier looking and feeling.

In the meantime, hang in there! ... and while you're waiting, just "know" that it's happening.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GWH View Post
If you dont mind my asking, how long were you sober before the aches and pains subsided? Im looking forward to the day when I dont have a bloaty-feeling reminder of my abuse.
I think the physical healing time varies enormously and depends on so many individual factors. Most of my worrying symptoms were gone after about a month. But the only way I could be certain about the status of my innards was to see a doctor, which I had avoided forever and a day. I probably worried obsessively about my liver for at least ten years, until I walked into an ER and told them I felt my life wasn't worth living and that I was going to have withdrawal imminently. That sort of forced the issue, and I had some blood work done, which to my utter disbelief was just fine. About three months ago I had a full physical. I have since had gas in my abdomen that has put uncomfortable pressure on my upper right quadrant, so it goes to show that a lot of symptoms are not what we think, and the only safe bet is to see a doctor.

Hang in there GWH, it will get better if you choose to change for the better!