Notices

Should be feeling satisfied, but feeling the urge to drink :(

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nostalgia- I think I'm in a similar boat. My drinking doesn't seem "that bad"...I can't imagine never having wine again. I've gone 11 days and it feels like a long time! That's probably a sign I really do have a problem. I'm 39 and as I look back I tried to cut back and only have wine on the weekends. But in reality it's slowly increased over the yrs. I still don't know what my final goal is...right now it's to not drink for a long time. But I can only think about today. Good luck!!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When you face giving up the drink, you are losing a 'good friend' - or what we have tricked ourselves into seeing as a friend!
If you stop drinking (and your drinking sounds similar to mine) you will go through a period of mourning for your 'friend'. Better to mourn this than the loss of family, friends etc.
The thought of never drinking again also freaked me out. I picked up the AA method of deciding not to drink 'just for today' or even 'just for the next five minutes'! This tended to ease my sense of panic.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Nostalgia: These forums tend to attract folks who have decided (like me) that abstinence is the best way for them.

You might benefit from looking into Moderation Management, which is a support group for people who are not alcohol dependent and want to moderate.

One nice thing about MM, which I found, is that if you cannot do what they suggest (as I could not) you will then know that abstinence is the better path for you.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Nostalgia!! Welcome! I would like to tell you about me if I could take a moment of your time. My name is Frank, I am an Alcoholic. What I have learned about myself on this journey is this. As an Alcoholic, I have an obsession with alcohol when I am not drinking. When I do drink, I develop the phenomena of craving and the drinking spirals out of control, I have no defense against that drink unless my thinking changes. I needed something to fill that void. I have found that in the rooms of AA. Again the obsession to drink was always there unless I changed my thinking. Alcohol for me, was not the problem. It was the sloution to my problem. Until & unless I change my thinking there will always be that obsession leading to inevitably another drink. Good luck and be well.....