Notices

Like AA Or Not?

Old 04-13-2004, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like AA Or Not?

I was reminded yesterday, not everyone here is involved, or maybe even likes AA. It was a good reminder for me. AA is such a huge part of my life, I tend to forget that.

Personally, I can not imagine my life w/o the program of AA. That is what has kept me sober, attending meetings, talking with my sponsor daily, doing step work, and being of service to others.

Without it, I drink, and if I drink, I will die. Simple for me........

SO, post what and how you feel! Would love to hear it all.......

Tom
Old 04-13-2004, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

I like it

Hello Tom

I am a newcomer to AA only 7 months sober. I tried over and over to stop the madness in my life. I never could find anything that worked. When I walked in the rooms of AA it was like walking in church, except I used the back door. I was sick in body, mind and spirit. By working the steps and attending meetings & talking to my sponser my body started to heal and now my mind is healing and my spirit has been reconnected to my Soul. I owe my new found freedom away from drugs & alcohol to AA. It works if you work it, at least that is how it is for me. AA saved my life.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Re: Like AA Or Not?

I am with Janet on this. While I realise it is not everyones cup of tea, it is what saved my life. But then , I have never tried another programme, I have tried to do it alone, and never suceeded in 37 years , until now . So it is AA for me

HUGX

Lee
Old 04-13-2004, 11:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Platinum Member

(((Tom)))
Same with me, AA helped me find my higher power, whom I had lost touch with over my years of drinking. Finding my higher power again is what has given me the strength to find my way to soberity. I couldnt do it alone.
Love, Bonni
Old 04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

AA is the only thing I knew to do when I first arrived here on the scene. Maybe I would have tried other options had I been aware. However, it's working for me and so I won't question it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I love AA! The program has given me so much in such a short time..I went there hangin my head full of fear and self hate. While the so called normals look at me with disgust.the people in the rooms took my hand and said we understand and we love you! What a gift it has been to me.AA has taken away my fears and lonliness,given me back the gift of laughter and above all else the ability to not drink or use one day at a time.How many times did I try to recover on my own? Countless, for this alcoholic aa is the only thing that has worked.I have the gift of peace in my heart today,a higher power who looks out for me,one day at a time I have been blessed..
Old 04-14-2004, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love the fellowships. AA gave birth to the fellowship I love and cherish, NA. I would be miserable without NA. Yeah, I could probably be abstinent from drugs, but I'd probably be so self-centered and miserable that I'd be better off using then just going through life, white-knuckling it. I love the spirtual principles that are in my life because of the fellowship.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

An AA meeting started my journey to recovery. My suffering did not end at that first meeting, but I credit what I heard that first time and the men I met that night for literally helping a broken man save and reclaim his life six months later. I will be grateful for AA in eternity.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really would like to hear from those that don't like, or are not involved with AA and why also.

T
Old 04-14-2004, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Oh boy! *LOL* Maybe we should move this over to the alcoholism forum. *wink*
Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

T- Why are you askin for trouble! lol...
Old 04-14-2004, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tom, if you would like to hear about alternatives to AA or hear about peoples opinion of AA that is not necessarily positive, you can do a search in the alcoholism forum, as there have been many debates on this matter. As much as they have been interesting there has been a tendency for these threads to deviate from our primary purpose. In the Newcomers forum however, we kind of like to steer clear of any negative opinions about recovery in general so as not to influence the newcomer one way or the other.

A newcomers first glance at sobriety may very well be this forum. Why not try to make that an inviting and encouraging place for them to feel safe introducing themselves. There's plenty of areas on this site to spark debate and hear differing opinions of recovery. Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well said Stephanie.........I agree with you!

Thx, Tom
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, Tom,
Well, since you asked, here's my take on what recovery groups have in common. I've used SMART Recovery, and have never been to AA. I only know what I've read, been told here, and have heard from folks who have come to SMART after trying AA. So understand that I've never done the steps, had a sponsor, or even attended an AA meeting. I have read the Big Book (recently--thanks to the folks who have it available on this site!).

Comparing different recovery groups can be useful if it helps YOU come to new beliefs about the role alcohol-related behavior plays in your life. If you experienced distress attending meetings, or simply couldn't accept the basic precepts, it is worth exploring why. I have found it very useful to have folks in other programs explain how they make them work, or how they interpret parts of their programs that I found difficult to accept.

But I've been on the receiving end of 'SMART-bashing' and it isn't much fun. There are folks on this forum board with extensive experience in AA, and I imagine it isn't much fun to see that program 'bashed' either. So I try to look for the commonalities rather than the conflicts.

Citing studies and statistics about the effectiveness of different programs is fraught with peril! There are too many variables and not enough hard data. Here's just one succinct quote on the subject:
"The effectiveness of AA is unknown. Period. The first evidence regarding the effectiveness of 12-step based treatment was not published until 1996 (Project Match), and the evidence since has been mixed."

What recovery groups have in common is that they provide support for an individual's desire to quit drinking. All of them focus on techniques for quitting, and all except Moderation Management are based on abstinence. Dealing with urges, avoiding drinking situations, dealing with lapses--obviously, these are the main emphasis at first. ANY program is likely to work for you in early sobriety if you make a commitment to abstinence, make changes in your day-to-day life to enhance those changes, and do some planning for dealing with urges. PPP--Patience, Practice, and Persistence--is a concept that could apply to any plan for sobriety.

Finding a recovery program with which you share core beliefs can be real important to your long-term success. It's difficult enough to quit drinking; getting into philosophical arguments about the foundations of your drinking behavior can be a diversion from the goal of sobriety! Nevertheless, using whatever is available locally might get you through the early stage of quitting simply because of the peer support.

SMART Recovery is based on cognitive behavioral theory. The basic principle is that irrational beliefs lead to unhealthy behavior, and that beliefs can be changed. There is no spiritual basis, although those with strong spiritual or religious beliefs will obviously find them useful to strengthen those beliefs if that will enhance their sobriety. Rational Recovery also focuses on using your thinking and beliefs to achieve sobriety. I'm not real familiar with LifeRing or SOS, but a quick review of their web sites suggests a focus on secular group meetings to provide encouragement and support.

My observation of those who come to SMART from AA is that the three concepts that bother most of them are the disease concept, the use of a higher power, and the idea that we are powerless over alcohol. Folks from AA have given me good explanations of the many different ways they approach these concepts, but they can be a real hurdle for people who don't come from a religious background.

SMART Recovery and RR don't use the term "alcoholic" (SMART rejects the disease concept except as a metaphor--and only if that is useful to you), and work to enhance the power you have within your self to achieve sobriety (SMART stands for Self Management And Recovery Training). Some people successfully integrate different programs, attending face-to-face meetings for the group support and companionship but adopting different philosophies as they make their own paths to sobriety.

One problem is that in many places AA is the only organization with regular face-to-face meetings available. It is the oldest and best-known program, and in many cases the only one used for diversion programs in mandated treatment (in spite of court rulings). But in the age of the internet we have other options, including online meetings using text and voice chat.

This organization is evolving, and being science-based is, in my opinion, more open to new ideas and information than others. The board of directors of SMART includes top researchers in the field of substance abuse, and we hope to bring more of their articles and research to you here.
There is no religious or doctrinal history, with all the baggage that carries. As such, it is open to those who seek spiritual growth as part of sobriety (or vice versa)--or those with a more analytical world view. Engineers and artists are equally able to use it.

Most of us who used substances shared an irrational belief that we were alone--that our problem was unique, so no group could possibly help us. It's always a relief to find that others have been where we are, and to learn from their experiences. There are lots of folks here who can answer your questions, based on their own experiencesl, in a non-judgmental way.

People who successfully quit drinking have three characteristics in common, regardless of the program (if any) they adopt:
--they make a firm commitment to sobriety;
--they make lifestyle changes to enhance their commitment;
--they plan and practice for combatting urges.

All of the recovery groups that I've read about focus on the latter two aspects in the short run, to help you break the pattern of substance abuse. How you come to that firm commitment is the key to long-term sobriety: staying stopped once you've figured out how to get stopped.

Yours for ecumenical sobriety....
Don S
Old 04-16-2004, 01:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I love AA.I tryed NA for a while when I first arrived but it`s not for me.So,I stayed in AA and now I`m still sober and still alive.
I have a sponser who asked me a question several months ago.Do I have any hobbies,he asked?

AA I answered..my life and my hobbie it seems.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

AA works just fine for me! (((((((((Tom)))))))) You rock!!! Happy friday!!