Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to. ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Notices

The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to. ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe a relative. Been tossing and turning since 2:30. Gave up the ghost. When I was sleeping it was nightmares. One reason i preferred passing out, can't/won't do that anymore. So her I am It is about 6:15 here now so at least human kind. If I had a pet I could feed it. I just have SR
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry Fitz. I know it is miserable when you can't sleep. I have dreaded sleep when I have nightmares. I am a vivid dreamer. Drinking to sleep makes it worse because I wake up in a couple of hours with horses running through my stomach. That's the only description that fits the feeling.

You are hanging in there. hope it quiets down for you.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I empathize. I have felt sometimes that their is nothing worse than wanting to sleep peacefully and not being able too. It feels like the night will never end.
Something that has helped me is taking melatonin before bed......my doctor actually recommended it for me, and I get it from the health food store. Maybe ask your doctor about it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea a stampede is a good descriptIon. I would come to and not know where I was or what I had done so that wasn't good either. I once called my mom to say good morning but it was 7:30pm not am freaked her out.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aww so fustrating when you can't sleep. Wishes you sweet dreams for tonight and a full comfortable sleep.

Take Care
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A nice cocktail of 5HTP/Melatonin/Valerian/lemon-balm should be able to knock anybody out!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm guessing Fitzgerald was from a nice middle to upper class family with very few issues, i know a load of people who would disagree with his statement to put it mildly lol

Hope you sleeping whilst i post this:-)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fitz, did you ever think about getting a pet?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that fitz.

Lifelong problem sleep here.

My only advice is to just carry on as normal, if you get a real bad night do not think about it next day, just say to yourself you will do all you want to do as if you slept all night.

The worst you will feel is groggy, but you will still function.

I have gone days and sometimes weeks on minimal disturbed sleep before. I can end the bad sleep cycle earlier now if I just say to myself " Tomorrow I am going carry on as normal, if I sleep or dont sleep" I am in a real bad sleep cycle at the present (with me it comes in cycles, still trying to work out what starts it) but I am ok, groggy feeling is as bad as it gets, its not like I am fighting a life threatening illness.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

There's a product called Alteril: it contains melatonin, valerian, and l-tryptophan - three sleep aids in one. Sometimes it knocks me out, but even if it doesn't, it's extremely relaxing, to the point that my heart rate and breathing rate slow down and I just feel calm. That's not the same as real sleep, but it lets your body rejuvenate at least a little a bit just by slowing things down.

But I'm pretty sure the best remedy for insomnia is regular cardio.