Notices

Newly registered and eager to meet all of you!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly registered and eager to meet all of you!

Hi everyone! I actually used to post here off & on throughout the years, but forgot my login, etc., so I've created a new one. I have 7 1/2 years of sobriety and am working on going back to grad school, this time for a master's in counseling. It is my hope to work with female alcoholics and addicts, as well as with cancer survivors (I'm one of those also ). In the meantime, I work full time in cancer clinical trials and am a part time yoga instructor and certified personal trainer. And yes, I am insanely busy!

I hope to learn much from you all and might even be able to contribute a thing or two as well!

YogaChik
Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Welcome YogaChik. I see from your location you aren't far from my neck of the woods. It's great you've been sober for 7 years! That's inspiring. Indeed, you might be able to offer some help to people here (including myself).
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Your story is inspiring. I too study counseling, but I'm far from 7 years sober.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome yogachik! this place is great & 7 years sober is a true inspiration! glad you are here
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome-
It is inspiring to meet you. Do you think yoga has help in your sober life?
I'm in the middle of a struggle with alcohol right now. I've been thinking yoga might be a good thing to get back into. I used to do it decades ago in college.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back YogaChik

D
Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, 7 1/2 years is awesome. I think it's great that you're going back to school. I'm doing the same in January
Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi ClearLight (and everyone!)...I think that yoga has definitely helped me in my recovery and, in fact, I am currently teaching a yoga class for the women at a local shelter for recovering alcoholics & addicts. It began as part of a certification that I'm working on and now I'm finding it to be one of the most rewarding things I've ever done!

I started doing yoga only 5-6 years ago, after getting sober and then going through a year of treatments for breast cancer. At first, I resisted the whole idea, but always found that when I finished a class, I felt so much better than before. So I kept doing it and, true to my addictive personality, I got hooked! What it teaches me (and, so, what I try to pass on) is how to find nearly instant serenity and relaxation when anxiety threatens to shake me. I am learning, slowly but surely, how to turn off the outside chatter and craziness and then just breathe and get centered, even while in the middle of a busy day or place. It's truly amazing! And that's what I try to pass along to the recovering women I teach: how to get calm and, then also, how to find a place of being okay while in the middle of an uncomfortable situation (which some yoga poses can be!).

So, i say to anyone even thinking about trying yoga- DO IT! You might not fall in love with it, at least not right away, but if you go at it with an open mind, there's a chance that you might something in it for you that will just give another helpful boost to your recovery efforts.

~YC
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back ((YogaChick))!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

YogaChik, I started doing yoga actually in August this year. Did it nearly daily for 3 months, then well...relapsed for 3 weeks and stopped. But you are right, I felt awesome after and I know it helped my spirit to stay strong, but I also felt pride after I'd done it...like I knew I was sober and I felt so much peace..hard to explain. Anyway, I did a little today again, and I plan to continue every day from now on.