Notices

Hi, don't know what to say...

Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jon

Hi, don't know what to say...

I'm new to this, but and I can say I stumbled upon this site by pure luck because I really needed to hear that I'm not so alone in most of the things I have done and have been feeling. I hope that I can help others like myself in time.

Today is Day 1 I guess for me. Hangover not so bad, but as usual extremely depressed and thinking about drinking. So I'm looking for all the helpful distractions I can find.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! SoberRecovery is full of really supportive people who have a lot of wisdom to share!

Congrats on deciding to be sober and getting to day one. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to stop saying "tomorrow i'll stop" and then all the tomorrows turn into years later. You have made the cruicial first step

What recovery plan do you have? Do you have a support group or sober friends or family you can talk to? Have you tried going to AA or the numerous other recovery methods that are out there today? Staying sober takes a lot of work and resources. You don't need to to try to tackle it alone.

Lastly, do you have a doctor you trust and can go to? Stopping drinking suddenly can have medical complications. Also, it is always good to have a doctor you can go to with questions about being this whole process.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
We've all had day ones. I've had hundreds of them. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all have to start somewhere.

As for drinking today, think it through to the end. It'll only bring more despair and depression.

You've found a great place. Please feel free to post as often as you like, and best to you.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jon

It's been tough staying sober. Everyday I tell myself I will stay sober, everyday I have failed. My brother and his wife drink and smoke pot, and I don't get a moment where I'm not asked to hit a bowl, or get a drink. My mom's sister died of alcohol poisoning 10 years ago and my uncles all are alcohol abusers. I recently took a split shift labor job thinking, it should keep me safe and away from trouble, and I can get exercise too, that didn't work because there were more pothead smokers there than in my last job. I smoke weed everyday, take a couple xanax twice a week, and somas if I need something to get me through the day. I'm terrible at my job, so it's not really a confidence booster to stay clean. It's has got so bad to the point I show up to work like this. A mess basically, to my surprise I'm even worse when I stop for a couple of weeks. Mind feels all foggy, can't seem to concentrate to full effect. Cold turkey, tried that for 3 days, was dreadful, and I couldn't take anymore so I had to smoke. Smoking led to guilt about smoking which led to drinking. I've been in a car incident which almost cost me my life. My car caught on fire 8 months ago while I was almost incinerated I made to grab my pot while drunk before people screaming for me to evacuate the vehicle. I was scared to death after seeing what could have been. It lasted only a few hours. I have no insurance, and I had to call in sick today. Hung out with some "friends" last night, and to be honest I really don't think they care about me enough to be a positive influence.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jon

I have no recovery plans and ideas I've tried haven't been working. So I'm really lost at the moment, afraid to even make a move.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

It is a great thing that you have chosen to quit drinking. Just take it one day at a time, and really focus on yourself. In my case the depression came hand in hand with the drinking/smoking, etc. You can reach full potential, it is right in front of you. See a doctor, get a recovery plan. It is more than worth it in the end. Best wishes to you.

Dom
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

for me i had to get professional help. my insurance didnt pay so i was out of pocket for the treatment. my addiction was so that i would be dead if i hadnt gotten help. everyone is different but if you feel this way i would go and get help. this site helps as does aa or na meetings. you will find that your not alone and you can stop. good luck and god bless!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hollowwx: Try TV. Try exercise. Try an AA meeting (if you do AA) or some other meeting. Try meeting a friend for coffee. A movie. Anything but booze.

W.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome!

You're articulating very well the completely normal alcoholic feelings. I remember so well just how LOST I was.

Would you be willing to consider AA? I used rational recovery, personally (you can google. Commercial linking prohibited) . But I am sensing from you post that real life support would lift you up.

I promise you that sober life is amazing. Bright, complex and rewarding.

Best of luck to you! We care!!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Your user name was exactly how I felt when I stopped drinking. I was gutted and there was nothing left. Have faith that you can get through this and recover. If you find you can't get through withdrawls, please talk to your dr for advice.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome hollowx

I remember feeling lost and hollow too - read around here and post as much as you like...it will help

D
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SR was a happy accident for me, too. It's really been helpful to me in getting sober and staying that way.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there, it's day 1 for me as well. I stumbled upon this site this morning and I spent most of my day reading and commenting. It's really helping me to stay focused on the most important thing and that's to stay sober. I'm doing this alone, but I have the motivation so I've made some plans for tomorrow to keep busy and be healthy and productive. I'll do this each day from now on, plan for the next that is. I am currently thinking of wine, but I'm trying to think of how pickled my liver will be (hopefully not "is") if I continue to abuse myself this way. I'm focusing on how good I felt while I was sober for 3 months. I won't go anywhere near anything that triggered my drinking before. Good luck, you can totally achieve this.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, hollow. I don't know why I clung to drinking for so long - it wasn't fun or an escape anymore. By the time I quit, I was drinking all day - it was miserable. You won't be missing a thing - life will be so much better with a clear head.

Glad to have you with us. This is a remarkable place.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! The bad feelings will pass but you've got to get thru them without caving in to the addiction. See a doctor about medical help in getting thru the rough part of withdrawal.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by hollowx View Post
I'm new to this, but and I can say I stumbled upon this site by pure luck because I really needed to hear that I'm not so alone in most of the things I have done and have been feeling. I hope that I can help others like myself in time.

Today is Day 1 I guess for me. Hangover not so bad, but as usual extremely depressed and thinking about drinking. So I'm looking for all the helpful distractions I can find.
I don't think you stumbled on this site by luck. I didn't find it by luck. It was meant to happen.

People don't end up here because life is great. People generally come here because they are confused, scared, and want to learn and see that there is a better way to live life.

This site offers many great things. One of them is HOPE!!!! Just by coming here, you are starting to help others, believe it or not.

Welcome, and I hope you'll stick around so I can wish you a happy day 2.