Notices

Is It Okay To Take a Day Off???

Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Is It Okay To Take a Day Off???

I've stated in multiple threads that working out and lifting is my biggest weapon in staying sober. I've been to the gym five days in a row. I'm sore. I'm tired. I didn't sleep well at all last night. I have an interview tomorrow. I'm trying to come up with all sorts of reasons not to go to the gym. I'm not going to drink if I don't go. I gave up my wallet (credit cards, etc.) so that's not even an option. I'm thinking of taking a nap and seeing how I feel after. I just feel so guilty when I don't go.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Man take a break aren't you like 9 days sober or something? You ABSOLUTELY can take a day off and I'd recommend it so your muscles and brain can recharge.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Balance is so important. Don't overwork yourself - in the end that is not going to help you.

Exercise is obviously essential to your happiness but be careful that you don't convince yourself that without it you won't stay sober. It may help you stay sober, yes, but it isn't the only thing. Going one day without it is fine... more than fine... it's perfectly OK to need a day off from something. It'll help in the long run, I think, if you don't put too much pressure on yourself.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Today is Day 6. I know I have to take rest days to let my muscles repair and grow. Maybe I'll just take the pup for a walk later on just to get in some activity and fresh air.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Today is Day 6. I know I have to take rest days to let my muscles repair and grow. Maybe I'll just take the pup for a walk later on just to get in some activity and fresh air.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
JJay, I'd say you NEED to take a break. Have you heard about overtraining? You muscles and cardio system need time to recover. My trainers advised me to stick to 5 days a week with a break between days. If you keep wearing yourself out every day, you may experience insomnia, fatigue and other symptoms that follow overtraining. Make it easy on yourself.

Take care.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
JJay, I'd say you NEED to take a break. Have you heard about overtraining? You muscles and cardio system need time to recover. My trainers advised me to stick to 5 days a week with a break between days. If you keep wearing yourself out every day, you may experience insomnia, fatigue and other symptoms that follow overtraining. Make it easy on yourself.

Take care.
Yeah, what Midnight said. I got injured and stayed injured by overtraining. You can work up to 5 days, but if you're 9 days sober, I'm guessing you have not been involved in rigorous athletic training while you we're drinking. When my body says "stop" now a days, I listen.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Sounds like a good idea to me.
I second that.

Your muscles need time to repair and build, like you said. And by going on a walk you're still doing something while giving your muscles the break they need.

Give yourself permission to take regular breaks, balance is the key to life!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Listen to your body.

How about working on the mind and soul today?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post

Take care.
Yeah, I've definitely been victim to overtraining. I just feel so... lost, when I don't work out. I have so much free time on my hands and working out is my favorite and best distraction.

And I'm a professional insomniac
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

JJ, what is your second best distraction? I think you like movies. How about a few stretch exercises today, and then just relax, and take that pup for a walk. Good luck with the interview tomorrow
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am embarrassed to admit that today is my first day off in 23 days. I am at day 23 sober although I only drank 3 times in the last 3 months (prior to that I was drinking almost daily--had a couple of maybe I can drink again moments--but I really can't). I know enough to not lift everyday but I was running on the treadmill and doing the elliptical every day. The plus is that I have lost almost all the weight I gained from drinking. But I know that eventually my body is going to get really cranky with me.

I know days off are important too--balance is everything.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

JJ, what is your second best distraction? I think you like movies. How about a few stretch exercises today, and then just relax, and take that pup for a walk. Good luck with the interview tomorrow
Yeah, I love movies. I really hope I get this job. I do so much better when I have a set routine. This job would be M-F 9:30-6. So that would take up my entire day, then the gym for a couple of hours, then get something to eat and by that time it'd be close to 9:30PM. That would be a huge help for me.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by foodie1 View Post
I second that.

Your muscles need time to repair and build, like you said. And by going on a walk you're still doing something while giving your muscles the break they need.

Give yourself permission to take regular breaks, balance is the key to life!
I third that. But the most important thing is your mind can take a break.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Yeah, I love movies. I really hope I get this job. I do so much better when I have a set routine. This job would be M-F 9:30-6. So that would take up my entire day, then the gym for a couple of hours, then get something to eat and by that time it'd be close to 9:30PM. That would be a huge help for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hope you get that job. That would be great !!!! Was that the one with UPS?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Keeping my fingers crossed, hope you get that job. That would be great !!!! Was that the one with UPS?
Yep. And I'd be active all day long which I'd love.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't be where I am without balance in my life.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone else, take a day off, listen to your body. Good luck with your interview tomorrow!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
Balance is so important. Don't overwork yourself - in the end that is not going to help you.

Exercise is obviously essential to your happiness but be careful that you don't convince yourself that without it you won't stay sober. It may help you stay sober, yes, but it isn't the only thing. Going one day without it is fine... more than fine... it's perfectly OK to need a day off from something. It'll help in the long run, I think, if you don't put too much pressure on yourself.
Couldn't have put it better. Chillout and relax.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
How about working on the mind and soul today?
I struggle sometimes.. I get hard on myself if I don't ride enough, hard enough, long enough... For what???... I guess I could just become a motor for my bike...

Why do I ride? Why do you go to the gym? To find recovery? To run from it? or... to feel good and be healthy?

Personal Fitness = Mind, Body and Spirit... Balance, yea.