Notices

New Alcoholic in recovery here.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Alcoholic in recovery here.

Hello All, I've been lurking about theese boards for a while, and even posted in a few threads before the big crash. Just thought I would introduce myself. I've been a functioning alcoholic for the last 8 years. No one knew I had a problem (except for the wife). I liked to drink alone. I have been very anti-social. I also have issues with anxiety, fear, and anger. Even though I regulary drank, and had hangovers, blackouts, weekend binges, etc , I did not look or act like the alcoholic type to my peers at work. I thought I had a good thing going. I knew I had a problem, but I thought that somehow I could just coast along and everything would continue to be fine. Well 6 weeks ago the other shoe finally dropped and I now find myself in a serious legal situation due to my drinking. I have watched my whole life start to unravel in the last month 1/2. I have since sworn off alcohol, started seeing a therapist and attenging AA. So far so good. I have maintaind sobriety, and above all I am now slowly trying to learn how to live in my new sober life.
Thanks for listening.
Marty
Old 04-10-2004, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marty,

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you're on a good road for you. I'm sorry about your legal troubles but one day you'll look back and be grateful for them. It's what motivated you to get sober. I think a lot of alcoholics can relate to your feelings of anxienty, etc. keep doing what you're doing and before no time, you'll be living happy jouyeous and free without those uncomfortable feelings you mentioned.

Take a look around at the other forums as well. Let us know how it's going
Old 04-10-2004, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
Dying eggs so I have to make it quick. Just wanted to welcome and congratulate you for seeking out the solution! It's a wonderful deal this sobriety thing! Hope to see you often.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome... it sounds like you are taking positive steps toward your happiness. hooray for you. look forward to getting to know you.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

welcome MARTYONE

DONT DRINK,ASK FOR HELP AT THE MEETINGS,GOOD PLAN.BOTH SHOES FELL ON ME, THEN STARTED JUMPING UP AND DOWN!THIS DISEASE WILL KILL US IF WE DONT COMBAT IT.IM SOBER A LITTLE OVER TWO WEEKS,MY BODYS OK BUT MY MIND NEEDS AN OVERHAUL.LOTS OF GOOD SUPPORT HERE,STICK AROUND AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS.STAY STRONG FRIEND. ted
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

welcome!!!

Welcome to SR.My name is Trish and I am an addict,just stoppin by to welcome you,and see how you are doin today.Hang in there! Keep the faith!!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Marty!
sounds like your doing alot of positive things to beat this. Feels good to finally post, doesnt it?! (I was a "lurker" for quite a while as well) Keep posting, the support here is amazing!
evan
Old 04-11-2004, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marty,

It's often the story that the bottom falls out before we really realize what we've been doing. I speak from experience! Congratulations on your sober time and I hope you keep hanging around.

Anna
Old 04-11-2004, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Marty

Welcome to SR!

You will find great support and friendship here

Keep in touch , and let us know how you are going

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-11-2004, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Evan, That’s great. There’s a lot of information to be had in rehab, inpatient, or out, and the more we learn about this disease the better off we are. You may even hear the ol’ saw about rehab being “dis-covery� and AA as “re-covery�, cause they’ll most often tout it, and pretty well recommend that you immerse yourself in it, either during your outpatient process, or if not, immediately following it.

Just remember that ALL this stuff, including “early� recovery is a phase, a ritual of sorts that ya only have to go through once, unless ya choose otherwise. Not only is there life on the other side, once ya get the basics down, it seems to have a flavor and flower that most of us never imagined. Getting “high� on sobriety alone is a real kick in the head, and an experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world, and ya can bet no one’s making that request. You go m’man. I’m bettin’ ya come out of that outpatient with some real good “stuff�
Jeff
Old 04-11-2004, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome marty!

my name is dot and i am an addict. there is a lot of support and encouragement here. most of everything has already been said! but i really liked jeff c's second paragraph. it really does get better. hang in there and let us know how you are doing!

Hugs,

Dot
Old 04-11-2004, 03:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Marty.

I think I remember you pre-crash! You describe me almost almost to the color of my shirt! Outwardly fairly normal and fitting in. Inside, a terribly sick man, solitary drinker and user, week-end warrior. And I too, all the while ignoring my wife's concerns. What a cycle, week in, week out. And then, the Big Wake Up Call eh! My behavior over the last eight months of active addiction should have put me behind bars. But I made it through the other side somehow. So it's six months later now, I have a program of recovery, a couple of great sponsors, tons of new friends and an immeasurable sense of gratitude for a second chance at life and happiness. I'm happy you're here Marty. We don't have to ever go back there...

Dan
Old 04-11-2004, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Hows Marty Today?

JUST DROPPING A LINE TO SAY HEY.HOPE THIS DAYS BEEN GOOD TO YOU.STAY STRONG KEEP IN TOUCH,WE CAN GET WELL!!!!!! ted
Old 04-11-2004, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

How are ya doing Marty?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello Stephanie,Chy,Alice,Rudeboy,Trish, Ted,Ann,Jeff, Dot,Lee and DD!
Really nice to hear from people who have also "been there"

I just enjoyed my first Sober Easter in many years, and it feels great! Thanks for all the support!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

that is too great marty! i am glad you enjoyed a sober/clean easter! so did i! what a blessing!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chy

Glad your doing well, hang in there and find a means of support that will work for you!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

((((marty)))) How you doin today?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Feeling good :thumb
I feel confident I can beat this. I was hopeless with myself when I first went to talk to a therapist. I never believed in therapists. I've heard many horror stories about how therapists did'nt work out for some people people. I thought I was crazy for going to talk to some guy about drinking once a week. Maybe I am! But for the first time, I can let someone else know what my problems are, and try and get solutions. He has given me hope.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Chy

Re: New Alcoholic in recovery here.

Wonderful news Marty. It feels good to give it to someone else huh? Keep going back and make full use of him. We're all here for you too!