Notices

Hello

Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

This being my first post, I'm not really sure what to say.

I'm not only new to this discussion forum, but brand new to recovery as well. In fact, I'm not really sure that I can even say that I am 'in recovery' since it's only been 2 days since (hopefully) my last drink. Have not even gone through much in the way of withdrawal symptoms yet, but of course I know I will.

I've attempted to quit so many times that I know what to expect as far as the physical symptoms go. However, I've only once managed to stay sober beyond a week. That was for 5 months back in 2009- with no outside help. Not even a discussion forum to turn to when tempted. So if I could manage to go that long then, hopefully I will be able to quit for good now.

Needless to say, I know this won't be easy, but am more determined than ever.

I look forward to getting to know others who have gone down this road to recovery before me.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it!!!! YOu have come to a great place with many resoucres and great people
I am almost to day 4 and I have learned so much. Reading other people's posts and stories have been really helpful.

Welcome!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear you're making a decision to save your life And welcome to these boards.

I've been down that road before, not able to stop for long.In fact. my drinking led me to a fear of quitting because I new the terrors that awaited. Heck, I joned this place five years ago and have been sober for two years eight months. It took me awhile. I hope you can do better. I know you can.

What helps for me, is to think that first drink through to the end and the ramifitations that will go along with it.

You found a site with lots of help, and best to you.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome 25yearstoolong from another New Englander. Glad you found SR-it really helps to know you're not the only one and is a great resource and place to get support.

Make sure you check out the Class of November 2012 subject here in the forum. You'll find people there quitting at the same time as you are, which is really helpful as you can finds lots in common.

Best of luck
Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR 25years2long x
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
This has helped me, so hopefully it'll work for you too!
- Fill the location of your old booze stash with gallons of water. Try to drink a half gallon every day. Your stomach will tell you that you aren't thirsty.
- Personally for me, I realized I just like to have a drink in my hand. To counter that, I will literally walk around my place with a gallon of water. It's a lot better to be seen walking around with a jug of water, then it is to be pissed drunk makin' a fool of yourself.
- Also, I enjoyed a drink near the end of the day. One of my withdrawal symptoms was that I became very restless when I tried to fall asleep. Go out for a walk if you start having that problem. If you don't feel like going out for a walk, go out to your living room and start doing push-ups. Make your body physically tired. You might wake up a bit sore, but trust me, a good sore beats a hangover filled with regret any day =)
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome 25years2long

My previous 'record' was 2 months over 20 years...SR has really helped me turn my life around.

You'll find a lot of support here...24/7

D
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! I've been sober almost three years and give a lot of credit to SR for that.