Notices

Storm!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Storm!

Work put us up in a hotel tonight because of the hurricane. Normally tonight would be party time- we would all congregate at the bar until closing time then stumble up to our rooms.

Tonight I opted for peace & quiet and a good book in my room. I did text a work friend who is staying at the same hotel to ask if she wanted to meet for dinner before she heads off to party. She knows I am now sober and so she didn't even respond to my message. I suspected this might happen once I got sober because she does nothing without alcohol. And that's ok; she has her journey, I have mine.

I'm just happy I successfully cleared a hurdle at a dangerous time.

Hope everybody's safe and sound!

Jackie
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Jackie.

Stay safe. I just checked the news on Sandy in NY - it looks scary.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you're in a safe place! And glad you're strong! Hang in!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
Work put us up in a hotel tonight because of the hurricane. Normally tonight would be party time- we would all congregate at the bar until closing time then stumble up to our rooms.

Tonight I opted for peace & quiet and a good book in my room. I did text a work friend who is staying at the same hotel to ask if she wanted to meet for dinner before she heads off to party. She knows I am now sober and so she didn't even respond to my message. I suspected this might happen once I got sober because she does nothing without alcohol. And that's ok; she has her journey, I have mine.

I'm just happy I successfully cleared a hurdle at a dangerous time.

Hope everybody's safe and sound!

Jackie
What a wonderful post. Sounds like your sobriety is priority number one which it needs to be. As we get sober we find out who are friends are and who are our drinking buddies were.

We find new things to do and learn to enjoy life without alcohol. Cuddled up in bed reading a good book ain't half bad while your co-workers are getting soaked in their never ending quest for booze. Bar hopping during a hurricane sounds like so much fun.......NOT!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I admire your unshakable sobriety
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

While everyone is at a party why don't you check out a local AA meeting? Have you ever gone to one? Congrats on being newly sober and keep coming back
Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newby1961 View Post
While everyone is at a party why don't you check out a local AA meeting? Have you ever gone to one? Congrats on being newly sober and keep coming back
I was shuttled to the hotel - no transportation. And yes I just started going! Thank you for the suggestion.

It all turned out fine, the storm was a major pain in the arse and I have no power but I didn't lose anything so I'm way better off than many people today.