Notices

Help???

Old 10-28-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help???

Hello all. I am on day 3 of no meds. To top that I quit smoking cigarettes about two weeks ago using chantix and their support program. It works but I think I took on a little too much thinking I could tackle codeine withdrawal and cigarettes too! Would appreciate advice because I can stop the pills and manage the pain but not sure I can deal with both at same time. Haven't slept in a couple of days my legs are jumpy at night and even my arms too! I can't lay still. Can't miss work just took a huge promotion or I would have taken some time off. It really helped me reading I am not alone & I feel blessed I can read other postings. So any advice on the smoking? thx.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I am probably not qualified to give advice, but I was just going to say that - yes - that sounds like a lot to accomplish. I would say the pills would be the thing to stay away from and get under control right off the bat. It sounds like you have found an effective method to quit the nicotine, so you could come back to that later. It would be a shame to lose your progress and momentum.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Faith. There's a number of people here that have quit both addictions at once. Read around, you'll find them. If you scroll through the forum index you'll find a nicotine withdrawl forum as well. I haven't been that brave yet.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Faith01)) - Welcome to SR! There are a lot of people who quit smoking when they quit their DOC (drug of choice). I didn't but admire those who did.

Hope you read around, make yourself at home here

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Faith
I think you have to decide for yourself whether it's too much at once or not.

Did you speak to a Dr at all?

You might be interested in our substance abuse forum too - there's a lot of codeine related threads there as well, and our smoking forum

D
Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Faith

I quit drinking and smoking at the same time. I didn't really have a choice because I could never smoke and not drink. I used nicotine replacement for a few weeks because I wanted to make it easy on myself. If you feel like you can't do both at once then maybe leave the smoking til later. I keep threatening to give up sugar but I don't feel ready for that yet! You're making steps in the right direction either way x
Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Sometimes you shouldn't try to put too much on your plate at once. Quitting your drug of choice is your main priority. Then the smoking comes after that.