Notices

Need advice for sister

Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice for sister

Hi all! I'm new to this site. I was hunting for answers for my sister online and thought this might be a good place to get advice. My sister, who I love dearly, is married to an alcoholic who refuses to get help and see he has a problem. Over the years, as one would suspect, things have gotten worse. To compound things, they have four children. I live seven hours away from her so I am just trying to find some good resources or organizations that can help her as she decides what she needs to do next. I want to help her in whatever way I can. I know she has called a crisis hotline in her area, but they said they couldn't help her until he actually physically abused her. As of right now it has all been verbal abuse. However, she is going to contact them again on the advice of a police officer and let them know she is being verballly abused. Anyway, I just want to give her as many resources as possible. If anyone has good websites or knows of organizations who can help with action plans for spouses of alcoholics or what steps to take to prepare to leave with the kids-anything like that would be appreciated. Any advice would be great- I just feel so helpless living so far away. Thank you all!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michigan15 - welcome

I wish I could give you some advice for making an alcoholic see the reality - but there are no such tips, I'm afraid.

There is however a lot of help support and advice that loved ones of alcoholics can make use of to protect their welfare and that of their children.

There's a lot of support here - it would be great if your sister could experience it first hand - is that an option?

You might want to also check out our Family and Friends forums - there's a lot of information, particularly in the posts at the top of the forums.

The FFSA forum is a particularly good source for abuse info:

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

but you (or your sister) will find support here too:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

search for Al Anon in your (her) area and call them
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Verbal abuse and threatening are real crimes and the police most certainly can do something about it. Only if it is reported however. I hope your sister finds the help that she needs!