Notices

Problems

Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outdoors View Post
Drinking to cover up your problems and make yourself feel better is like hiding a fire with pieces of wood. You can hide the flames for a little while, but you are going to make them burn stronger.

I "quit" a ton of times before this last one. Whats different this time is I am not trying to do this by myself. I post on SR regularly and I also attend AA and I am working the program. The difference is evident in the results. I had "quit" before but I was miserable. This time each sober day is like a gift. I am in the best place in my adult life and my early successes are breeding future successes. It feels good to be happy and not numbed. I am also able to deal with my problems in a real way. I am not trying to hide them or kick them down the road. I am fixing them, one at a time.
You've come a long way in two months...I jumped right into it too. Congrats to you on your two months...I'll have 16 months in a few days...You'll get there...Just keep doing what you are doing...It gets better!!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by EasternMichael View Post
I do want to quit...my life has deteriorated rapidly......
That sounds like some pretty good motivation right there.

Since you've tried on your own and not been successful, which most of us do by the way, I'm glad you found SR. It's helped me tremendously. There are some great people here and we get what you're going through.

I found that adding some sort of face to face support made a huge difference. For me it was therapy and AA. Have you considered that?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

To all, thank you for taking the time to post.

I have not tried any face to face support, but I do want to. It is just a big step for me; don't know if it is for others. Regardless, I am quite hesitant regarding AA. I have read these forums since I got home from work today, and love the stories of others that went, but I cannot get over the religious aspect of the organization.

I said "God bless" in a previous post, but that was more of a general "sign-off" that I say in real life quite frequently. Maybe it is because I grew up a religious household.

Anyway, I understand it is up for debate whether there are still ties to religion within AA as it was founded nearly half a century ago, but as an atheist, it turns me off quite a bit. I even started reading the first chapter of the BB, but really can't associate with some of it. I am reading right now about alternatives, which seem somewhat hopeful.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Keep searching Michael - you'll find the right thing eventually - just don't wait too long.

BTW, if you google atheists in AA you might be surprised what you'll find. I am in no way shape or form religious but AA does work for me.

Some people do better with RR or AVRT or Smart. Take a look in the secular forum, you'll find some good stuff and plenty of people who have been sober for some time using other methods.

Whatever you do, just don't drink.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just have a look around and see what speaks to you Mike. I ended up using a bit of most recovery methods. It was a massive deal for me to tell other people about my drinking and I still have difficulties talking to people about it now. One thing stuck with me though was something someone in AA said to me when I said that I wasn't very good at asking for help, and they said that's why many of us don't recover... I make a habit of asking for help nearly as much as I need it now!