Notices

Anybody here think about that day...but?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody here think about that day...but?

I read a lot about people who hope that one day they can drink again. Does anybody reflect on that drink and think, my next drink is gonna be raw? When I was drinking, I used to water down all my hard liquor. I rarely think about drinking nowadays, but when I do, it ain't pretty...no water, no ice, just straight spirits. Hell, at least I am not delusional, I won't drink the next one, cause it will be categorically raw, unsightly and ugly. There will be no normal for me, so I just as soon say no today!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Amen on the saying no.

I can't say I ever harbored any dream of drinking normally at any point in the future. I quit for good from day one. Determined, and glad to be rid of the toxin in my body and blurring my mind.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That hope is the addiction drive speaking, that hope that day will come when all this sobriety foolishness is behind us, and we can get back to drinking like normal people do. Funny thing is, for most of us, if we could drink like normal people we would do it all the time.

Even more to the point, any thought that starts 'my next drink is going to be...' is that addictive pleasure drive run amok, working away at our resolve to quit drinking.

As for room temperature liquor straight from the bottle, I had decided to cut down on washing glassware, and that avoiding cold liquids would be less of a shock to my system. Yep, that was 'normal' for me. I don't recommend it.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not really, I have discovered nothing about myself and my relationship with alcohol that would suggest I could drink normally. It is becoming pretty rare these days that I think about it all, and when I do, not for long.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember when I first quit - I used to think if I ever drank again it would be a big blowout cos it would be, essentially, my last... having 'failed' at recovery...

is that what you mean?

That was clearly my addiction talking...big ol' drama llama.
I no longer think of my next drink...

and hypothetically, if I was ever to drink again one day, I'd hope I'd have the knowledge now to know I can reach out for support and save myself, too

D
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I quit it was because I only have two levels of drinking- blitzed and none. I have no illusions that I'll ever be able to have "just a few" again. If I ever drink again it will be because I no longer care if I live or die. Because if I start up again it will kill me eventually.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I concede I will never be a "normal" drinker ever and looking back , I never was to start with.

At the end I was drinking whatever from the bottle , cold or room temp...vodka , rum , whatever. I can dress up a first drink as innocently as I want but the end of the drinking will be just like it has ended the last 10 years...ugly and probably worse than the last time. I will admit my defeat now and save myself and a lot of other folks the pain.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I must admit i often think I might be able to drink normal someday. I also know it is early days for me, but i will not drink this day.. Day 15
Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I drank again, I know what it would be. But as for drinking 'normally'... Nope, I can't say that I ever wanted to be one of those people who can sit and look at their pint of beer for ages. What I wanted was to be able to drink like I was and get away with it. Not put weight on, not feel lousy when it wore off...
So no, I don't think about 'the next time.'
Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tend to wholly agree with itchy's post; for me, I knew that drinking was hurting me, so I knew very well that I could not keep drinking, and therefore stopped drinking. I was quite amazed a week or so back when I noticed that handy dandy gizmo here that calculates sober time, and saw that I will soon be at 6 months without drinking--not so much amazed sober time as at how my enjoyment of life has incteased in so short a time, how the quite normal problems that everyone faces actually can be faced, at how much easier it is to solve things with a clear head, and to accept that some issues defy any good solution, and that no amount of drinking will alter that. It is alot more fun, say, to take my kid out to a swimming, or whatever lesson when I am not dealing with a hangover. I don't bother to thibk about drinks made deliberately raw as being useful to me particularily; I think that any alcohol, however nicely served, serves me best by staying in the bottle. And I agree with Dee, should a slip ever occur, something I hope unlikely, there is lots of support to help me get myself back on track, and I find that both comforting and useful. To get back to Itchy's post, his tag line in particular, now if only I could get my wife to appreciate Leonard Cohen as much as I do ( am kidding here, but I am a big fan of his, and if my wife's not being so was my main problem in life, I would be a very lucky problem free person, which, of course, no one ever truly is--what I think I am now is a person who is learning to cope life's problems more effectively, that is, without alcohol, raw or otherwise) All the best, Rick

Last edited by ricmcc; 10-23-2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I know I can never drink or use again. I know. People say to me sometimes don't you ever fancy just having a few glasses of wine with dinner or a pint of beer at a barbeque. I say yeah I would love that but I know damn well if I have a few glasses of wine it will start an almighty bender that will probably see me ending up dead or in prison.

And the people I know who have been genuine alcoholics and tried to drink normally again. Well it never lasts. It just doesn't work. Just say no for today, and then no tomorrow. Then saying no gets easier the more you say it.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no desire whatsoever to drink again cause I know how it'll end up and I don't want to go there. Besides, I'm much happier sober and why would I spoil that?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I do not like the words, "Drink again." The reality for me is being "drunk again" every minute" I was not working or sleeping. I never saw the point of drinking other than as a way to get drunk
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kza

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Funny thing is, for most of us, if we could drink like normal people we would do it all the time.
That really shows the delusional thinking and illogicality of the alkies's position. I would love to be able to drink like a normal person but of course if I could I would be drinking all the time. Nothing the alkies does, thinks or feels about alcohol is logical. I am one week sober and feeling so much better but part of me is still planning the next drink even though I know from so much bitter experience what will happen. Sad and pathetic.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I would never want to drink like a 'normal' person.. .1 or 2 drinks a few times a month? Pfft why bother (that is how much my husband drinks.. I will never understand it). Which is why I don't drink, and never will again. However, I do remember back in the very early days of my recovery thinking "wow if I drank again I bet my tolerance is SO low, it wouldn't take much to catch a buzz!".. sick sick thinking.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ive recently realized that I AM INCAPABLE of drinking "normally", so therefore, that drink skmeday is not an option... period.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i know in my head and heart i cant drink like a normal person. i am an alcoholic. i dont drink like normal people.
i have had the thought of " just one or two" come into my head. by the Grace of God, i can see how insane that idea is for me. i know that if i pick up a drink again i will pick up like i never stopped and it will get worse. i also have it in my heart that i dont have another recvoery in me.
i dont feel like playing russian roulette. sobriety has been way too awesome to blow it with "just one or two."
Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I do, but I have to realize that it is just not the best idea for my family.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I do not let myself think in that manner whatsoever. If I do have thoughts of drinking, I stop and think about why I'm feeling that way. I recognize it's just a feeling and will pass. I evaluate what's going on with me, am I tired, hungry, irritated (which usually means tired). Do I need a nap? A rest? A distraction? And then I go do exactly that. Read, play piano, watch a movie, gym, whatever it takes. Thinking about my so-called next drink is just not an option. It's like thinking of me flying to Russia tomorrow - absolutely isn't going to happen no matter what I think about it.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i can imagine a day when i'll drink. i can't think about what the alcohol will be (probably a beer or two) because what i'm really thinking about is my mental state that day. what could tempt me to drink so much that i would ignore everything i know now about myself and think that this is a good idea? what could have happened to my self esteem and my resolve not to drink? how could i drink, knowing i won't enjoy it and think that that "pleasure" was worth everything i've been working for? how could i disrespect myself and all those who've supported me thus far? i don't hope that i can ever drink again. i just hope that i never will.