Notices

What are you living for?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you living for?

Four months sober tomorrow and as the brain fog lifts, I am both mourning all the time I wasted drunk and pondering what I want to focus on in the future. For sure my family is important and a big focus for me but I think it's critical for me to figure out what the purpose of my life is so that I don't waste the rest of it. I'm just wondering if anyone here has figured out what they are living for and if that has helped their long term recovery. Please share what you are living for.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I live to do the best I can to help those that I come in contact with, even a stranger, by being the best person that I can be. Not easily done but I'm giving it my all! I try to focus on the good in people.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I once read that the purpose of life is to live a life of purpose. Sounds like a real nutcase wrote that till you realize that our purpose in life changes. It grows and changes as we grow and change, so it's extremely hard to pin down what our "one special purpose" is at any given time.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

<<<<< Them.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, deciding to do something I'd always wanted to do (hairdressing) and dedicate lots of time to being good at it has been a great help. I realise that sober I can do whatever I want to do... never going to waste time drunk and I'm always alert! I've also taken up many hobbies... I've never been so active and busy in all my life. I think it's very important to be a little selfish and go for what you want... after all, people do this every day regardless of whether they are a recovering alcoholic or not. It just took me a while to realise I was capable enough (when not drunk)! Go for it!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Right now my purpose in life is to be happy. To be happy with the person I am. To feel that I am a good person who values the beauty that life has to offer whether in relationships, nature, or whatever other form I see. To be a person who contributes positively to this world however I can.

I think this is going to be a much slower process than I anticipated but that is what I am living for right now.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I live in the moment, any day could be my last , i like to savour the good and the bad from the sweetest cake to the bitterest lemon, trying to share what friendship, love and compassion i might have .
One day it will be my last day and i'll have savoured every moment and lived in glory

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No idea.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My purpose in life, and in sobriety, is to take the best possible care of my dogs. To give them a good life in their 'retirement' years. That makes me very happy to know that I'm giving them the best possible life.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

EJ I read this earlier and wanted to think of what I would say. I started typing a few times. I cannot answer this with any relative sane point of view. I am to new at being abstinent to know anything of what I really want.

So for this moment and at this time I live to not drink or use. I will let that blend into my palate and I am sure something will take hold sooner or later. I need time right now.

Great question. I hope you are living for what makes you happy.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

My family...my husband, 4 kids, my mom, my brother.