Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Are you having trouble with technical issues? Post your questions here.

Notices

Are you having trouble with technical issues? Post your questions here.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Exclamation Are you having trouble with technical issues? Post your questions here.

I know we are having problems with avatars and smilies.

The pre-loaded avatars are not working right now. I don't want to get more until I hear from Jon. It could just be a matter of changing the addresses.

You can put in a custom avatar by going into your control panel (CP) and clicking on edit avatar on the left. When you get to that page scroll down to the bottom and upload an image from your computer by clicking on the browse button or find an image on the web and enter the address of the url.

Just post your problems here and we will see if we can find the answers together. I'm still fumbling my way through too.

Hugs,
MG

Old 04-07-2004, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Mg,
My only options are no avatars or standard avatars.
I don't have the browse button.
Thanks,
Miss
Old 04-07-2004, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I changed the settings. See if it works now.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

is there any way to upload a sig line image from your personal computer? the site where I get my straightjacket guy goes down regularly.... he's saved on my puter.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tid=1984&stc=1

Old 04-07-2004, 10:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Thankyou Morning Glory!
Old 04-08-2004, 01:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done

Well done Mooty , glad you got your straitjacket guy back ! lol

I am having a problem with missing replies , I had some replies to my post in AA , but now they have gone ! ?????????????

Hugx

lee
Old 04-08-2004, 01:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To MG,
There are at least 70 of my postings gone! Is that due to archiving some of the files to create storage space?
Old 04-08-2004, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Anything that took place after January 19-postings, replies, registrations-are gone forever.

I wouldn't wish these last three days on my worst enemy. What started as a simple phone support call to my hosting company at about 5:00 Sunday night, ended at about 5:30 Monday morning with the entire SoberRecovery site gone. I sat and stared at the screen for at least a half-hour unable to move, let alone think.

And when I did finally have a thought, it was, "Well, get busy."

Putting the main site back together was hard, but actually quite simple. When it came time to rebuild the message boards though, I was fully prepared to simply throw in the towel.

The software we use for our forums makes it very easy to do a backup anytime you would like. So I had two; one from about 2 weeks ago and one fro 30 days ago. The problem with the first is that it was located on the same hard drive as the rest of SoberRecovery. In other words, it no longer existed.

The second backup was corrupted-it just doesn't tell you it's corrupted until you try to use it.

At this point if we were going to re-open the boards, it would have been with 0 posts and 0 members. To be honest, I'm not real sure if I could have done over what has taken 3 and a half years so far.

We needed either a working copy or a back-up of the entire message board database. And if not "entire" then as close as possible. I searched my computer, old computers, old disks...and then it was suggested that I contact my old hosting company (our last day with them was January 19th) and see if any of our data was still there. It turns out that we were paid up through March, and that everything was still there!

So, since we had to rebuild anyway, I figured we might as well upgrade as well. The changes you are seeing and using now will be complimented by some great aesthetic changes in the next few weeks.

I do apologize to all who lost posts or replies or Private Messages. I apologize as well to all who will be inconvenienced by having to go through the registration process again. But I will take the trade-off of losing 3 months to losing 3 1/2 years.

I'm glad we're back.

And I'm glad you're all here.

Jon H.
SoberRecovery.com

Old 04-08-2004, 04:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Jon,
Considering all the people who look to SR for support, bright points in their day, ability to express opinions whether related to recovery or not and much more, thankyou.
Also that SR never asks for donations...at least I don't see any request where I log on. Outstanding.
Anyway SR has been there for me since my 3rd day sober, hey it's been a big help.
Thanks again,
H
Old 04-08-2004, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Huge thank you s

Jon, thank you so much for all the work you have put in to enable us to get back here . It was an awesome effort . I can only imagine how you must have felt as you saw it all go down the drain!

Many thanks , and have a wonderful and restful easter

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-08-2004, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Jon so much for all your work. I'm so glad you didn't give up!!

It's much appreciated.

Love, Anna
Old 04-08-2004, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

online users

Where do we look to see who is online? I cant find the " online list"

HUGX

Lee
Old 04-08-2004, 06:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Chat room

Near as I can tell, still can't access the rooms. I get a "fatal error" message.

DD
Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

chat rooms

Hi DD Chy has posted that she is still trying with the chat , and she will post when it is up and running

HUGX

Lee
Old 04-08-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dan

((((Lee))))

Thanks for the info. Patience is in short supply this a.m!

DD
Old 04-08-2004, 06:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hey Just me! The online users are listed at the bottom of the Alcoholism and Addictions help forum. I did find that!

I'm so lost, I can't even find myself! LOL
Just kidding, I love the new board!
Old 04-08-2004, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Jon,
I think you did an excellent job getting the site back the way you did! and all others that were involved.
Whatever was lost is lost, not a big deal anyway.
What type of backup do you have and how often do you backup?
Did you ever consider archiving on optical disks? Are you doing a redundant backup to a seperate test system? Are there issues with security and confidentiality that you have to deal with?
One of my functions as I.S. director was to ensure backup and recovery procedures and disaster and recovery. The backed up files would be stored in an offsite location, in the event of catastrophic failure.
If you need any help or suggestions, I am more than willing to help.
Tom M
Old 04-08-2004, 08:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Jon

I cannot thank you enough for ALL YOUR HARD WORK to get this site back up and running.

I even figured out all by myself that I was going to have to "re-register' since I had only registered in March, roflmao.

As to the 'new' format...........I LOVE IT!!!!!! However, being a "good alkie" it is going to take getting used to.......I don't know about others, but even after all my many ODAATs I don't do change well yet.

Again, thank you so much.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 04-08-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

where am I

Hi morning glory!

I can't see if my icon is still active or if I have to start from the beginning and redo my profil

anais