Notices

Being sober: turn a weakness into strength

Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Being sober: turn a weakness into strength

The first couple of months when I quit alcohol, a part of me saw my alcoholism as a weakness.

Only a few months ago I acknowledged total and final defeat against alcohol (or being powerless over it, as AA calls it) and became aware that I had to quit forever. The scientific evidence was the final straw, reading about tolerance and kindling made me realize there would be no "normal" drinking ever. Every binge would be longer, every withdrawal heavier, no matter how long I would stay sober in between. Finally I knew that the rest of my life would be without alcohol.

Despite all that the decision felt like a loss. From my early youth I associated alcohol with fun. In my culture it was connected to birthdays, weddings and parties. Then people around me, my family, drank that strange stuff I wasn't allowed to yet and behaved funny, silly. They sang, danced or told stories, one crazier than the other. Some behaved even stranger, fell over or got angry, but then my mother said that they drank too much. In the morning it was always different, they looked tired and sad, but my childish mind still remembered the fun from the night before.

Skip forward to the adult life. The message of fun is still around us, in movies, songs and books. The fact that on average 1 in 12 drinkers becomes an alcoholic is never heard, it's a like secret you have to discover.

And then it kicks in, I will be the odd one, the naysayer for the rest of my life, just like my "strange" aunt that never drank. But how strange was she? Others called her that, as sometimes she was sad on weddings when everyone was happy. Sometimes she didn't dance on birthdays or parties. But I could always talk to her, also the next day, when everyone was sad, she was often happy.

So when you give up on alcohol, you are not losing anything, you are winning a lot. But it takes time to discover what exactly the win is.

You will change as a person and become stronger, physically and mentally. You will discover different ways of having fun, perhaps even totally changing the definition of fun you had earlier. You will probably have more time and money to explore new things or take care of your family. You will meet new interesting people and lose some old "friends".

And one day you will discover that you have turned something you perceived as a weakness into a strength.

Good luck all!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said..."someday you will realize that what you have perceived as a weakness is actually a strength"
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well said! Even the "fun" that I'm "losing" wasn't always that fun to begin. I feel like I managed to quietly slip out the back door of a party that wasn't really any fun.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats and keep on going strong

You might want to change your quit date. I am not aware of a 15th month
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post!

I'm glad you're experiencing how wonderful a sober life can be
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Geralt thanks

What I thought was going to be a loss was actually the opening to a chapter of my life I could never have dreamed about....recovery's been a great gift for me

D
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've always wanted to be a strange aunt

Great post Geralt x