Notices

I couldn't believe my ears..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungAndClean View Post
thanks for the advice guys and it's true, I'am looking for excuses to be rid of AA. I don't like the stigma attached to it and I've never been much of a people person. It's kind of like church, I don't want to be there, but I go because I know it's good for me. Who knows, I may end getting a sponsor and working the 12 steps, and that would be fine. But in a perfect world I would be one of those people who just decided to never pick up again and stuck with it. At this point, SR and going to meetings is keeping me sober, so I ask myself if I'm sober already why must I do additional things I don't necessarily believe will help me. Call it lazyness or arrogance/pride, I just don't like following direction and never have. Anyways, thanks for all the posts guys, I read them all and they were all interesting.
Ignore the comment. If AA isn't for you check out one of the other recovery methods. I'm doing AVRT, which is working for me. Alternatively try different meetings, one SR contributor mentioned recently going to a meeting on a college campus which had a fair few younger people.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Originally Posted by YoungAndClean View Post
what is the name of the documentary?
The film is called Black Tar Heroin. I will say that I remember it being very difficult to watch. I don't believe the statistic was documented in the film. Perhaps the makers of the movie could provide more information, or you could find a source in the credits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tar_Heroin_(film)

Either way, the point really is that we need to understand that our recovery needs to be taken seriously. I am so grateful for the addicts and alcoholics in my life that had been exactly where I was and knew the way out. A blessing beyond anything I had hoped for.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I looked into a lot of recovery options...didn't find any I related to, so I just decided to do it with some face-to-face support from a few key family members and friends, and coming here to SR. I've been told by some people here that there's no way I could make it without some sort of "formal" program. Well, here it is 3+ years later and I'm happily free of the chains of alcohol. Don't let anyone discourage you, whatever path you choose.