Notices

Does anyone ever drink "normal" again?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freefall View Post
i can't moderate either. Definitely in the camp of no off switch and if i'm only having one or two why bother?.

bingo ! Thats my feeling too.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Yeah, I seriously don't understand the point of drinking UNLESS you go for the buzz. The taste? meh.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Thought for the day....

It IS normal to not drink.

Lot's of normal people don't drink.

I am way more normal when I am NOT drinking, than when I am.

So for ME, not drinking IS normal, just like it is for millions of other people, most of which never had a drinking problem to begin with.

Obsessing about whether or not I will someday be able to do again something that was killing me and destroying my life...that is NOT normal.

THAT is what I am seeking to address in recovery, that very NOT normal obsession, and compulsion.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Even if I could drink normaly , think I would still rather take the sober life , I am getting quite used to it and pouring Poisen down my throat seems far from normal
Old 10-07-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I look like a normal drinker on the outside(or so i thought).....but I never can stop. 2 glasses of wine at dinner out would turn into a 3 day binge inside my house where no one could see me.

its much less stressful to NOT drink, at least for me.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

After working a recovery program for two years would it be worth a risk of having a drink to find out? I hope the answer would be "no". When it comes down to it, the risk isn't worth the smallest, almost non-exsistant chance that you could go back to drinking "normally".

Worry about today, not a year or two from now. If you put the work into recovery, I'm sure in two years you would either know that the answer is no or you wouldn't want to find out.

Keep moving forward,

Maylie
Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good question! I stopped drinking for about one month this summer. I was convinced that I could drink in moderation. I did pretty well at first, and felt really proud of myself. But slowly I noticed I was drinking more and more, it got to the point that it scared me... so now today, I am one week sober, starting again.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Let's get this out of the way. Statistically the answer is yes. Some people are indeed able to drink moderately after being diagnosed with alcohol dependence. We can argue about this all day long but the stats are clear on this one.

The thing is...and I don't know if anyone else can relate to this...I personally have no desire to drink moderately. I really don't. What I want is to be able to drink myself into oblivion with no negative consequences. And THAT will never happen!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Onlythetruth!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Quit for six years. Started right back where I left off which was the beginning of a 4 year drunk.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
The thing is...and I don't know if anyone else can relate to this...I personally have no desire to drink moderately. I really don't. What I want is to be able to drink myself into oblivion with no negative consequences. And THAT will never happen!

I am right there with you OTT. Thus far I am a one chip wonder, but I know sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, if I were to drink again it would be 100% full on. In a strange way it is reassuring that when I get that rare desire to drink I never want "a" drink, I want to drink till I pass out. I don't have any delusions that "normal" drinking is an option for me.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I have been battling for 3 years now and keep going back to the same thing. I came here tonight because i realize that there is no "normal" for me. One beer leads to 10. One Friday drinking will lead to every Friday drinking. I hate myself after i drink and i am really done ever feeling that way. Imo, you need to find out for yourself, but just keep taking one day at a time and see what happens.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

no we dont
Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

My experience is that people who can truly drink normally, just do. They don't sit around debating what normal drinking is and how to achieve it. If you are doing that it's a pretty good tale tale sign that moderated drinking is not in your future.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I look like a normal drinker on the outside(or so i thought).....but I never can stop. 2 glasses of wine at dinner out would turn into a 3 day binge inside my house where no one could see me.

its much less stressful to NOT drink, at least for me.
I was a falling down drunk. I also drank at home when I couldn't get out (when my daughter was a baby/toddler). I used to say to myself I'm not an alcoholic who sits at home alone drinking, it's because I can't get out. When my daughter grew up I went back out with vengeance, an was a falling down drunk again. It never gets better, only worse.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

What is normal drinking?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

If, as some quarters say, alcohol is a poison, then why would I want to drink bleach!!???
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I think it's all or nothing with me, I don't
drink to be sociable, I drink to get drunk.
I am going to look for other activities, ones
that don't involve drinking; cinema, meals out,
babysitting my niece etc. Anyway if I managed a
good amount of time without booze I hope
the achievement will stop me from
going back.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I've tried like I'll just have a glass of wine with dinner but after a few daze I just hyave the wine and not just a glass I believe it is all or nothing for me how I am wired