Notices

Argh

Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Argh

Fell off the wagon bad last night. Horrible hangover today. Gatorade tastes the same going down and coming up, I've found. Tmi I know. Why do I keep doing this?!?!?

Just writing this so I can read it next weekend when my Friday evening craving kicks in again. Dear future self: you will regret every single drop of alcohol you drink tonight, so don't drink it!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At least you've come back here and not gone on a bender. look to the future,don't drink tonight
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get straight back on that wagon which you already have by posting here! Are you doing any programmes like AA or anything? Good luck!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've got to start going to AA. I blew it off after the first meeting a few weeks ago. A bunch of retired guys telling horror stories about people they know that died from alcoholism. I understand they were trying to scare me into sobriety but I don't think that's going to motivate me to keep going to the meetings. I felt nauseated when I left because of their graphic details. I need to find a meeting with people my age. Less horror stories, more 'here's some things you can do to stay sober and healthy' stories.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4Better View Post
I've got to start going to AA. I blew it off after the first meeting a few weeks ago. A bunch of retired guys telling horror stories about people they know that died from alcoholism. I understand they were trying to scare me into sobriety but I don't think that's going to motivate me to keep going to the meetings. I felt nauseated when I left because of their graphic details. I need to find a meeting with people my age. Less horror stories, more 'here's some things you can do to stay sober and healthy' stories.
Where do you live? I know I live in a big city in England where the meetings are so varied that there is always identification. Are there any other local meetings nearby that are accessible? If not, maybe try the meeting again- these people may seem 'irrelevant' but they all recovered and managed to reach sobreity!

There is an under 25s AA in my city (not sure how old you are!) so maybe see if there is anything like that near you?

Good luck- AA really can work, I have seen the miracles it gives I am throwing myself into it at the moment in the hope of having a good recovery
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I should give it another try. Probably my addiction talked me out of going back. It's a vicious cycle. Hangover = no alcohol, never again! A week sober = eh. You don't need to stop altogether. See how easy it was to not drink this week? You'll be fine. Reward yourself with a happy hour! Next morning, hangover. I carried my 1 day chip around me all weekend after that Friday night mtg and was good all weekend. The next week, I was back at it. Sigh. Definition of insanity indeed.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Sorry to hear Change. 1 night does not erase all the positive you had accomplished before this. At least it doesn't if you get back at it. Have you tried AVRT? I didn't read much about it, but I think I do a form of it on my own. It really has worked well for me.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why not give AA another try? I was totally sceptical about it when I started. I needed the horror stories to begin with though. I had to hear how bad it could get for me if I didn't quit. I was scared already so it didn't shock me into sobriety, rather got rid of any last bit of denial that existed inside me that this was my future if I didn't take action.
Every meeting I go to is different, and filled with such a diverse group of people. There hasn't been one where I haven't learned something though. Something I needed to hear as long as I've been open to listening.
Finding a sponsor and starting to work the steps is having the biggest impact on my life.
Hope it goes well for you x
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys all rock, by the way :-) I really need SR in my life at the moment. I just realized that I had not visited the forums in a while and I slipped. Probably wouldn't have if I'd kept reading daily.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Change4Better,
Nice to see you get straight back up after stumbling. If it hasn't worked out this time maybe you need to see what else you can change to support your sobriety some more. Sounds like you're learning all the while , respect to that ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I fell off the wagon over month a go so respect Change4Better that you're bouncing back so quick. I'm aiming for a recovery group for the first time this week. It's not AA, but it's supposed to be good - I've just been a bit scared of the whole group thing. I've still been checking SR from time to time which has been useful.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job on getting back on the wagon. No worries, you can do this.