Notices

Help please

Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help please

Good morning (or evening all). I posted something about my younger brother being a heroin addict and finally wanting to go to rehab the other day. I found him one and all he needs to do is call medicaid about his benefits but he hasn't. This morning the email I got was "I am going to end it all, I am going thru horrible detox. I sold my food benefit card last night and lost all the money somehow on the subway". I am completely beside myself. This is why I have blocked him out of my life....the suicide threats, not taking help. I told him to go the hospital. He wrote back he doesn't have the money to get there. I am so upset and it's only 10 and I am not just craving a drink. I am craving a drunk. I tried calling my sponser but she didn't answer. I won't drink...I am going apple picking with my friend from AA at noon. But how I want to cancel and just numb away. I know I can't speak with my brother anymore at all. Not if I want to stay sober. Makes me so sad Any advice?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Good morning (or evening all). I posted something about my younger brother being a heroin addict and finally wanting to go to rehab the other day. I found him one and all he needs to do is call medicaid about his benefits but he hasn't. This morning the email I got was "I am going to end it all, I am going thru horrible detox. I sold my food benefit card last night and lost all the money somehow on the subway". I am completely beside myself. This is why I have blocked him out of my life....the suicide threats, not taking help. I told him to go the hospital. He wrote back he doesn't have the money to get there. I am so upset and it's only 10 and I am not just craving a drink. I am craving a drunk. I tried calling my sponser but she didn't answer. I won't drink...I am going apple picking with my friend from AA at noon. But how I want to cancel and just numb away. I know I can't speak with my brother anymore at all. Not if I want to stay sober. Makes me so sad Any advice?
Call one of the other AA oldtimers or another friend in AA. Call the AA number in the phone book.

Your brother is in God's hands. Pray for him and look after you.

God will be there for him if/when he asks.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Bob...I called a couple people in AA, waiting for a call back now. I have been praying too for myself and my brother and it's helping a little bit. I know you're right...I hope he finds his way sober. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your brother to find his way, and for you too to stay strong.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitforme- I can't imagine how hard this must be for you, but you are so brave for putting your sobreity first and not drinking. Lord knows I have used less serious excuses for a drink in the past. But you obviously have strength- you rock!

It is easy for people to casually say 'pray for your brother' or 'he is in God's hands' but when it is your blood, it is hard to do that sometimes. But you just have to try and accept God has a plan for us all. He obviously wants you to keep sober, and will guide your brother whatever way is needed. We are all powerless over people, places and things- it is hard to accept, but if we hand over, things will get better.

You and your brother are in my thoughts!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have done what you could, sounds like your brother is not ready and that is not your fault or responsibility. it's out of your hands.
It's a mystery to me why some people get it, that drugs and alcohol are ruining their lives and others are just caught up in it and can't see the way out.

I can't even remember when I crossed that line and what made me see clearly that alcohol was ruining my life and making me extremely unhappy. Let's hope your brother gets to this point.

All you can do is concentrate on staying sober and be there for him. It is incredibly sad.

Love
CaiHong
Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Quit

I'm sorry for your brother - but I'm thrilled you're taking care of yourself and your recovery

D
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It really really sucks but you only help those willing to be helped. My brother is killing himself too and there is nothing I can do
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are all so wonderful, thanks so much for your input & support. I have a new prayer for my brother tonight which is that he find peace in his heart & mind, wherever or whatever that may be for him. I was thinking today about how my sobriety will indirectly affect him in that I'm showing him a different life is possible. Prayers for all the sick & still suffering tonight...especially our brother's MIRecovery.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'll add my brother in there too Quit...There is nothing we can do for anyone else but pray.....But we can take care of ourselves. You did the right things today Quit...Nicely done.