Notices

Terminal Uniqueness

Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Holy moly is this a blast from the past but I will say universal truths age well.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 06-01-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad somebody revived this...I'd never have found it otherwise .

I think it's a paradox, you know: we ARE all unique, but also the same. Maybe we're not unique in the ways we think we are, and the same in ways we don't dare to imagine...
Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is a great post! And very true! Think the moment I actually got sober was the moment I realized that people have problems way worse than mine and are not a complete drunk over it. And realizing that yeah alcoholism can and did take me over and kick my butt I was not somehow immune. And that I am the only person who can be responsible to stop it. Again great post and great information!!!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Not sure why it would matter that it's an old (couple of years) thread. It's talking about a problem that has, and will continue to exist, as long as there are alcoholics.

It's a topic close to my heart as my terminal uniqueness in the first 6 months of my sobriety meant that I only allowed myself to do white knuckling peppered with a few meetings, leading my partner to despair for my mental health, my boss to put me forward for a counselling program and myself to not want to be alive any more, and myself to live in a tsunami of negativity. No one (not even me, truth be told) could understand how awful my life was. Whenever I was alone tears would start sliding down my cheeks. Whenever I was with others I felt separate from them, and more lonely than when I was on my own. I just could not function. Then someone must have turned my ears to on mode in a meeting one day and I realised that if I wanted to get better LIKE THESE PEOPLE, I'd better start doing some recovery work. LIKE. THESE. PEOPLE. My ego run riot was keeping me stuck in the problem, and I needed to be the one to right-size it and start listening, learning and working on recovery. And if that meant that I had to do things that I'd never done before or wasn't keen on doing, then so be it. I wanted to live. And what I'd been doing wasn't Living.

Yes, i was entitled to do things my way like the special flower that I liked to think I was. But when it came down to it, I wasn't as different from everyone or as unique as I thought I was, and holding myself apart as special and unique had ended up making me almost suicidal. I thank God that something changed that day and I actually heard and processed what people were saying, and got ready to grab the life raft and let the others help me climb out from that mire, and i kept safe in the middle of that SR & AA lifeboat. I'm still in that lifeboat, and intend to stay thete, both keeping myself safe, and helping any others who are ready to be helped.