Notices

Starting again

Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catman3334 View Post
Thanks everyone. It's now 10:00 in the morning. 12 hours since my last drink. I slept quite well last night. Tossed and turned a bit and woke up 2 or 3 times feeling either very hot or very cold but was able to go back to sleep.

This morning I had one wave of nausea so far. Lasted about 15 mins. Now I feel a bit clammy. I am off to an AA meeting at noon. They really helped me before.

I remember it was at about the 14-15 hour mark when I went to the hospital 3 years ago. If the symptoms get worse, I will go to the ER. It doesn't feel the same this time. Feels like its more in my head than truly physical.
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling okay this morning. This is my first day sober in a long time. Vodka was my poison of choice because it was easier to hide from my family members. I was a secret alcoholic. I've dealt with some pretty severe symptoms the few times I made an attempt to stop and needed to drink again to make them go away. Last week I was so bad that I was basically living for the liquor store to open.

It's been about 16 hours since my last drink. I've been awake for 5 incredibly difficult hours. I'm feeling so much anxiety and shame. I've got mild DT's and slight heart pallpitations but I'm hoping they'll go away after a few days.

Good luck with your battle. We're all in this together.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Vladimir,

I understand how your are feeling. Please be careful not to push the withdrawal on your own too much. The pain and anxiety are enough to make many, many people take another drink. I know I did.

If you ask for help, you will find that there are so many people who want to help you. They can't find you if you hide.

Most hospital ERs will either treat you over night there or send you home with one nights worth of medication. That gets you through 24 terrible hours much more easily. If you decide to tough it out at home, please assure me you will call 911 if the smallest of audio hallucinations start, vomiting wont stop or you find you are getting very scared.

DTs usually don't start in the first day. We commonly refer to shakes, sweats, diarrhea, headache, etc as DTs. DTs are much worse and once full blown not easily treatable.

I am not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice. See a real doctor at least once soon and ask many questions. Good luck.

Please post back and let us know how you are doing.