Notices

How many of you....

Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I only really talk about it on here. I like to talk about it if my experiences could help someone, which is why SR is great... and in person if someone came to me with alcohol problems I will more than happily discuss with them... but in general, no.

I want to focus on today and the future, not what I once was and how my life used to be.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I talk about it with SR family. But besides my family and here, I let my actions speak and they can do the math.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't share it with anyone unless we have it in common. As for family, I just feel that actions speak louder than words so I'm just doing my thing. If I get into a situation where someone asks I will most likely say its due to medications that I don't drink, just because I would rather not talk about it with people who are not really stable in sobriety and understand where I am right now. I have enough chatter in my own head about not drinking...I dont need it anywhere else.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I am very open. I have a blog about being sober.. I found it a lovely place to connect with even more people battling addiction. I tell people I don't drink, if they offer or things like that. I see no reason to hide it. The more honest I am with other people, the less likely I am to fall back into my old ways. If I were to have a drink now, everyone I know would riot! I like it this way. If i didn't tell anyone, I could revert back. I find it as a way to keep myself accountable.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't share it with anyone, except for here of course! I am a very private person and my life's trials and tribulations I'd rather work through quietly without feeling like I have to explain it to everyone. Last year when I quit drinking for 9 months I told my best friend and her response was, "Oh, come on, I'm sure you drink WAY less than most people!" I was, like, "Perhaps, but it was too much for me, so I quit." She didn't quite understand and I didn't elaborate.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am still fairly new (day 34), the only person that knows I have given up is my partner. So far I haven't had reason to tell anyone else. My partner was the only person that knew I was drinking to excess and I don't really see its anyone else's business (and like Jeni, I would be mindful of it harming my career). When I do start telling other people I no longer drink, I will be (sort of) honest, I was drinking a bit too much, a bit too often, decided to quit for a bit and felt so good I saw no reason to start drinking again - no one else needs to know how much and how often!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I discuss it only here and with my husband. I don't plan to change that.

I quit for 8 months once before and although I let close friends know I'd quit, I didn't elaborate on why.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I don't talk about it much outside the recovery community as it's not "who I am". But I certainly don't hesitate to talk about it when I run across someone whom I feel might benefit from my experience. It's basically a question of discernment. Most folks in the world do not care, or want to know, about our experiences with addiction and recovery; but when someone does need help, a little talkin' can do wonders.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What a depressing thought from atlsoberfan..that we never recover..that there is no cure. Put down the booze..move on..I am very open why I don't drink..I don't expect applause..nor do I think I am special..seriously why do we think we deserve applause not to drink..
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hmm well I do talk about things here , at AA and at SMART Recovery. I talk with my doctor and counsellors frankly about things as well. Select people know I am in AA and SMART Recovery and seeing counsellors but I don't really bring it up to other folks and not to anyone I don't really know. I mostly update people who want to know if I am okay and to comfort them that I am , I let them know how I am doing.

As someone mentioned its not all about me so in most places outside meetings or appointments there is no need for the topic to come up. If asked I would feel no qualms about saying I was in AA and other programs but I see no value in getting on a soapbox about my situation. If a friend was in trouble and really looking to change I might ask if they might be ready to consider a program and let them know they have choices. I have one friend I think may come around to this. I sure hope he does as he has been on thinner ice than myself a few years.

I haven't told my estranged wife or kids about my work in AA or elsewhere as it would serve little purpose to talk about it. Perhaps they may notice changes within me over time and ask and maybe not. The most important knowing entities about my my programs are myself, my HP , my sponsor and my friends in the fellowship.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In the past when I was sober, it came up a few times at family and social event (it was noticed that I declined alcohol). Funny because I usually do not drink socially. I am so perinoid about making a fool of myself or a DUI, that I wait until I get home.

I would never say "I am an alcoholic so I am not drinkinig", it was just an excuse or that I just wanted something else. Misdirection.

Toss
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I discuss it here and with my husband. My immediate family knows I've stopped drinking and close friends know I don't drink.

There are times I wish I had a close friend to talk about it with.