Notices

Im newly sober and hurting

Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im newly sober and hurting

hello,
I been sober since June 2012. Im dealing with anixety, depression and insomnia. Im these conditions get better with time. Can someone share their experience for reassurance that life gets better from my stand point? thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on your sobriety! Well done!
I have dealt with the same issues and I wonder if you had these issues before you began drinking or were they the result of drinking? For me, these symptoms existed years before I began to drink so I needed to have the depression treated before I could recover. If they are a result of drinking, they would likely improve as you recover. It might be a good idea to talk to your dr. I also wonder what changes you have made in your life besides stopping drinking?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm dealing with anxiety, depression, insomnia and PTSD--so blessed . For me its all gotten better but not heaven. I've had good daze and bad but at least I have days. This week was tough but today is pretty good. If I stay in the moment, almost impossible for me, its always ok. My problem now is laundry pileup. Hang in, hang on don't hang up. Life is good if you are breathing.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience was that alcohol was not my problem. Alcohol was my solution. I used alcohol to treat my anxiety, depression, restlessness, irritability, fear, inadequacy etc. So in putting down alcohol, I was putting down my treatment. I was left with all of those feelings and a strong desirre to drink because alcohol did a great job of treating those feelings. I had to treat the real plroblem. My inability to live sober comfortably. I joined AA. Through working the steps I have received so much more than freedom from alcohol. I have a life that I can honestly say I love. My perception has changed and I have the ability to deal with life on life's terms. In good times and bad.things aren't always perfect, but in the ppast 4 years, I have not had a desire to drink. I have been free of anxiety attacks and with the exception of a few brief low points when times were tough, I have not felt depressed. I have treated and continue to treat the real problem.
In my experience an alcoholic seldom gets better for very long by just putting down the drink. Most need a program of action to treat their malady.

Best wishes to you.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anna, to answer your question, I am seeing a Dr. who has prescribed lexapro for the depression and anxiety and ambien for the slepp isuues for now. I have developed a better relationship with God. My wife is very supportive after my 34 year addiction. I need to have hope that with more passage of time that I will feel better.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Early recovery can be a bumpy road but in time it does smooth out. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome hoosiervet!

Congrats on getting sober! I'm sorry you're still hurting, though. Have you shared that with your doctor? Are you working with a psychiatrist or a regular doc? I ask because I found it made all the difference having someone with the expertise in evaluating what worked for my depression and insomnia.

I think getting support is important, too. This is a great place for that. Another thing I use is mindfulness (you can google it) - and that's made a huge difference for me, too.

Keep reading and posting - we're glad you're here!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hoosiervet

I drank hard for many many years, so it took a little time for me to feel 'alright' again...I worked with my Dr and a counsellor too...but eventually I found happiness joy and peace in my life again

I'm sure it will be the same for you HV

Welcome aboard
D
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome hoosiervet. I definitely went through many phases as I healed. We've damaged ourselves badly - please be patient with yourself. At 3 months sober, there is still a lot of changing going on with your body and brain.

I had all those feelings that you mentioned - and after about 6 mos. most of the discomfort was gone. I felt joyful and hopeful again. I believe you will come out of these uncertain days and feel happy once again. Congratulations on all your hard work to get where you are.