Notices

A big prolem with insomnia

Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A big prolem with insomnia

is an inability to sleep. I Lie awake thinking about it. :-) Was a big drinking trigger. Now I'll just play on the computer and let it be what it be.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It's great to have more hours awake than most people .. i use it to read my favorite books , either the dhammapada or of recent peace is every step by Thich Nhat Hanh . He's the one who came up with the phrase or idea of "when you walk, walk like you are kissing the earth with every step" .
Makes me want to walk barefoot in fresh mown grass untill my feet turn green

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-23-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats why I'm here...got tired of counting sheep
Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes read those. Now just listening to music. If I don't fight it it is all good I'll sleep when I sleep. May read some pema Chodron tonight, may just night dream I can't fight my sleep disorder just accept it. Must admit I'm listening to Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Life is good if I let it in. I need to accept and love myself even my insomnia but I may as well enjoy it too.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Life is good if I let it in. I need to accept and love myself even my insomnia but I may as well enjoy it too.
Your lack of sleep is bring you much wisdom MCF, Well... I guess it was there already too right
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hit the pavement -- start walking.

It's working for me.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fitz,

have you tried self hypnosis? it helps me some. It works best if done regularly. I have a bunch of sessions loaded onto my iPod. Breathing exercises help too. if nothing else, I feel better and more relaxed the next day.

I like Deep Sleep with Medical Hypnosis. I do have some old tapes from 1987 that help too.

it's very important to keep as regular schedule as possible. And habits too. I'm finding having a hot bath in Epsom salts is helping me before bed. I was told to stay off the computer and no television as the flashing lights is too stimulating.

Hope this helps!

Love from Lenina
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I go through phases of insomnia. Once I learned to stop fighting it, it became easier to lie in bed and count my breath, which was at least relaxing.
I'm not sure if we are more prone to this or not. It can produce anxiety, so do what you can NOT to allow that trouble to start. Only makes it worse.
If it helps, remember there are a whole bunch of us going through the same thing.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Had this problem as well-was def. a drinking trigger. When I was first sober, I didn't even understand the feeling of tired. I was waiting for that pass out tired feeling which doesn't come when I'm not drinking. Now I play little games with myself. In a way self-hypnosis, I guess. I think of a letter of the alphabet and then think of every name starting with that letter. When I run out of options, I start doing it by third letter alphabetically. Let's say I start with N. After all of the obvious choices, I start thinking Nab, Neb, Nob, Nub, Nib....etc. and then onto Nac, Nec, Nic...ahhh....Nichole, Nicholas, Nick, Nicky. Sounds a little crazy but it's mindless. I rarely get through more than one letter anymore.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Have you tried melatonin? I'm having very good results since I started taking it.

Delilah radio show is very calming and soothing, her music may be too sappy for you, but the stories are inspiring and she has a very wise and loving approach to life...
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Originally Posted by NoFireWater View Post
Have you tried melatonin? I'm having very good results since I started taking it.
I second melatonin. Puts me right out and I've always had an insomnia problem.