Notices

How Much Were You Drinking?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

20 Pints of 4% lager every day with out fail....More at the weekends cos I would go to the pub for a few as well.....
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

By the end I would be able to put away maybe 15-20 pints of beer in a night, which would normally be about two nights a week. Then there were lighter drinking nights, around two six packs. I didn't do wine too often, but when I did it would be about two bottles, and hard liquor I tried to stay away from, because it would be easy to finish a bottle, and in my sick mind I was only an alcoholic if I drank a bottle of hard liquor.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm more of a binge drinker, so maybe once a week-ish I'd pick up a 6-pack of 6.5% pints of beer. Or I'd get one of those large bottles of wine. If I was drinking at home.

When I would go out to the bar, all bets were off. Everytime my glass was empty I got a new one. I'd arrive @ 11-ish and leave after final call, you can imagine how many drinks that is. That's usually when I got in trouble or did something stupid.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
HtWn $KILL$

Only you can diagnose yourself an alcoholic. It certainly does NOT matter how much you drink. I promise it will always get worse. It's a progressive disease and asking people how much they drank doesn't help anybody. If they didn't stop they would be dead, because that's how our disease works. who cares how much we drank, i wanna hear about what we did to stop our drinking. Some solutions to this ***%king disease that i hate so much.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I think I was consuming at least half a pint of vodka a day I was going through handles of vodka every 5-7 days I never drank during the day, or rarely but I got sick of waking up not remembering the night before. Of waking up with a headache and stomach ache or hangover so bad I couldn't get out of bed. I've actually only been sober two days so this behavior has been very recent for me...are you suffering consequences from your drinking? Your drink is obviously not normal, but it can be easy to try and justify our drinking by comparing it to people who drink more or suffer worse consequences but you could easily get there, you just haven't reached that point...yet. But if you continue down this path you probably will.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I would start off with 6 or more beers at my fav craft beer bar so the abv was usually between 6% - 8% alcohol. I think reg beer like Bud is around 3% but I couldn't get drunk quick enough on that so I would hang out in this place instead and drink high-alcohol beers.

So I'd have about 6 of those, and usually a bourbon or two. Then I'd take more beer home with me, and have 3 - 6 more at home, and another 2 - 3 bourbons.

If I could make it to work physically the next day I would consider it not even really a drinking night. I must have been nuts.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

A pint or so of hard liquor plus several glasses of wine every night. So, probably the equivalent of 10-15 drinks. An awful lot for a small woman.

This isn't a competition though--I am sure all of us drank way more than was good for us!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

750 ML of vodka or rum per night for 9 to 10 days in a row, then stop for 2-3 days, then 10 days again and again. For years...8 perhaps. Strangely, never had any detox issues like shakes or pain or panic attacks. but the hangovers were extraordinary. I'm still not sure how I was able to manage to accomplish the work that I was doing at the time and in such close quarters with others in a confined space.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I wouldn't drink everyday but when I did i could easily polish off a 75cl bottle of rum ...

or 10 cans of cider... i would normally wake up with a bad hangover so would have a day off and then drink the day after that, so every other day...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
NYR

9-10 beers a day on average, sometimes up to 14, and usually two nights a week I'd split half a box of sangria instead of beer - did this for two years. Two years before that I'd average 7 beers a night. Two years before that it was still 7 beers but only maybe 4-5 nights of the week, and for a decade before that, 7 beers but 3 nights a week. Always bought the imported beer too (Bass, NewCastle)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Zimmy

I didn't drink that much when I stopped--only a bottle or so of wine a night, or 4 to 5 days in the week; more on weekends. I have a highly sensitive system; can't even take an aspirin without some kind of reaction. Ridiculous I know, but that's how my body is. I got off it because I have a serious mental illness that required heavy duty medications. Mixing them with alcohol is potentially fatal. Every visit, the psych asked me if I'd stopped drinking and I hadn't. The therapist the same: You've stopped drinking right? No. The more I tried the harder it became. The struggle continued and continued to the point where I had to decide--should I quit the medications and drink, or quit drinking and take the meds. Most normal people would find this a no-brainer. I had to think about it!

The point is we all have the same disease but different stories--sometimes vastly different. I used to wonder like you; I spent months wondering! What matters is your relationship with alcohol. We can't leave alone. We can't stop when we start. Even when some of us can stop temporarily--say, if a bomb goes off next door--we can't stay stopped. We always come back to it. When we don't drink through a supreme act of self-will, we think about it, and think and think. We can't stop thinking! What I decided for myself was to just forget the alcoholic label and simply say "I have a desire to stop drinking." If you want to stop drinking, you qualify for any program or website for people like you.

Zorah
Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
rebmeM

I was drinking More than enough to know it was a problem. Then the thoughts of how long the problem had actually existed, and I just ignored it.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

When I first started drinking I was an alcoholic and then a 30 pack of cheap beer would get me and 3 others drunk. Alcoholism is a very progressive and dangerous thing. I was drinking a pathetic amount towards the end of my nightmarish ride. I was going through a 1.75 bottle of cheap liquor store vodka near daily. If I could only get my hands on a litre I would be very upset. I wish I wouldve known about alcoholism before it got to that stage. I probably wouldve been too arrogant about it all had I known anyways.

I had to hit my bottom and run around there for a while before I could start climbing out.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I was a binger, so intake could vary a lot from one week to the other...

At my worst, on an "average" week, I would binge once solo (usually a 6-pack and a bottle of wine or a bottle of vodka), I would binge once socially (probably comparable to the solo binges) and I would have a beer or two with dinner almost every day.

So a grand total of... 30-45 drinks a week! And it was becoming increasingly frequent that I would have a second, smaller, solo binge...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
oak

I have struggled with the idea that I did not drink enough to have a problem. Yet, alcohol is a huge problem in my life when I drink.

About 20 years ago I was an occasional binge drinker. I drank a fair amount when I drank back then. My mom tried quitting, and that gave me the idea that I could quit. I was sober for 15 years.

Then for the past few years, I go through periods of a few weeks or a few months where I drink anywhere from 1 to 6 drinks on most days.

I have not drank much. But I don't like how I feel and what I do when I drink. (isolating, hiding alcohol, thinking about it a lot, cravings) And I can see where I am heading if I keep drinking. And I like the way my body feels when I am sober.

I have mixed thoughts about the term 'alcoholic'. If I use that term, I think I am an alcoholic who stopped early.