Notices

Hard

Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard

I don't have a lot to say. But some days, I am shocked at how hard this is. But maybe I am making it too hard. I mean, honestly, it's simple in theory. Don't drink. That's it. That one thing. Don't drink.

So why in the world does it feel like the hardest thing I have ever had to do?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Either it is a physical addiction, a psychological/emotional addiction, or perhaps both? Doesn't seem as though you are suffering overly from the physical absence of it. I would wager--and again I do not have a professional license to practice in Virginia--that it somehow is a psychological or emotional "side-kick" (I hate the word "crutch"). It helps fill in time, dull thoughts or emotional pain, or just blot out consciousness? Again, just guessing, but they are all valid reasons for feeling that way. I think the point is to learn that other more healthy things can serve as a better "side-kick." Just my dos pesos, anyway...
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MissyShelle76 View Post
Don't drink.
Simple in words.

Hard in execution.

Stay strong. I don't know your story, don't know if you are an alcoholic, don't know your acceptance of the term. But it's difficult because alcohol is an addictive drug. The part of your brain that has been rewired by your drinking is now in survival mode and will do anything to keep the addiction going.

That's what you are fighting; that's why it's hard.

I was right where you are now. Today, I'm over two years sober. It is worth whatever you have to do to achive.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The alcoholic voice in your head is relentless at times. Dismiss it for what it is...just a voice. It has no power over you. You know the consequences...the voice wants you to forget.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found it hard but now it's almost second nature to not drink.

I could not imagine sitting around drinking now. Drinking during the day would just never, ever happen.

But it took time and investment.
I had to find things to do and keep occupied 24/7.

I think you make a really good point how difficult 'just don't drink' is.
It's not that easy.

xxxx
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

In retrospect it was so hard because I had no other skills. I was seriously like a 17 year old with 3 kids under the age of 5 (I am 37... so I was 35). I had to be VERY deliberate in early recovery. Identifying each emotion/obstacle and essentially googling how to deal with it. It was crazy. And exhausting. But worth it!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think keeping it as simple as possible is a good plan. In the beginning it was a refrain in my head "I'm not drinking today, maybe tomorrow". For me, I had to feel like it wasn't forever to be successful. 2 months into it I'm honestly not thinking about it as much at all. I'm able to wrap my mind around the concept of forever a little more each week. It is hard but not impossible. It requires undoing so many habits that were part of the drinking lifestyle and subbing in new healthier ones. It requires desire to have something better in your life. No one ever said it was going to be easy but it is very worthwhile.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's very hard
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I say all the time that it is simple but not easy - not drinking in itself is all it takes to be sober, actually convincing ourselves and accepting that we will not drink is something totally different. For me, that difficulty disappeared when I said the 'never' word - I will never drink again. When I said that, believed it and accepted it, there was never going to be a moment in time that drinking was going to be an option, and after a short period of time of me repeating that to myself when that voice spoke, the voice quietened and very rarely now speaks. 'Never' liberated me and I no longer struggle - it is now simple and easy.

I'm sorry you're finding this so tough right now. Keep going and stay firm... it DOES get easier.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Today has just been hard. But I love this place. ((((hugs)))))
Old 09-21-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is hard. We're addicted to alcohol. Physically it seems more natural for us to drink then not. Our bodies (whether this is mental, spiritual, physical, whatever) crave it

It takes time for it to become natural not to drink. Don't know how long your sober, but it will happen. You'll wonder why you used to poison yourself
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Simple - but not easy.

Not impossible tho

and it gets easier....support was very important to me, as was making changes in my life.

Stick with it MissyShelle - you're not alone

D
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it does get easier.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

For me the first six months were about my body sorting it's self out. I was unstable emotinally. Since then I've been getting back and track and having to learn how to live.

Take care and hang in there