Notices

Feeling low and no motivation

Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling low and no motivation

Has anyone else had this? I'm on day 11. I've no cravings - not tempted to drink. I just can't get the energy to do anything. House is a mess. I think eating better, exercising would help me but the thought of going out to get healthy food, cooking it and eating it totally overwhelms me. Then I get angry with myself for not having the motivation to do it. I still feel very numb, anger and frustration with myself are the only things breaking through the numbness.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's pretty normal...Your mind and body are going through major changes...There will be ups and downs...You have to just keep moving forward and don't pick up....It will get better everyday!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

PS....Make cleaning up the house today your mission...It will make you feel better!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was normal for me too Eli....like Sapling said we can really do a number on our minds and bodies when drinking...

It took me a while to work out what to do but try and keep at least a little active - a short walk, a little cleaning up - and not too much junk food helps too

D
Old 09-19-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice x
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will get easier as time passes, I promise

I agree with Sapling - make cleaning the house today your mission! It will make you feel great and get you out of a slump. You can take it at your own speed and when you're finished you'll feel really proud of your efforts. I know that when I clean the house I find it very therapeutic and it's great for taking your mind off everything.

Keep going and congrats on 11 days
Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eli, I'm sorry you're feeling blah; I know it well. It will pass...don't push yourself too hard. You're going through a lot of adjustment. Maybe pick one thing youll conquer today. One thing for tomorrow. Eventually youll see a cumulative effect happening and I bet it will kick your motivation into high gear!

<3 my September friend
Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how many of you get Today's Gift from Hazelden but this one came a few days ago and it really helped keep me from being too overwhelmed:

"Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Today I will do one thing more than I think I can do.

If I'm too tired or depressed to get out of bed, I will not only get up but also take a shower.

If I don't have the energy to go to work, I will get dressed and drive to the parking lot of my job.

If I just can't face the world, I will walk to the end of the street and back.

I will reach a little further than whatever I believe my limitations to be. Usually, when I take that little extra step, it seems easier than I thought it would, and I feel better too."

Time to Break Free by Judith Smith
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elihoping View Post
Has anyone else had this? I'm on day 11. I've no cravings - not tempted to drink. I just can't get the energy to do anything. House is a mess. I think eating better, exercising would help me but the thought of going out to get healthy food, cooking it and eating it totally overwhelms me. Then I get angry with myself for not having the motivation to do it. I still feel very numb, anger and frustration with myself are the only things breaking through the numbness.
Try just doing something really nice for yourself. Go get your favorite meal, rent a DVD movie, or take yourself to a movie. Indulge in something that really makes you happy, at least for a little while. You might find that by taking it easy and going easy on yourself, it boosts your emotions and gives you energy.

Just my two cents...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your help.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better with every minute that goes by elihoping.

I see that you are a fan of Winnie the Pooh - did you draw your avatar? I paint Pooh and I love the book as it takes you away back to childhood. I wanted to add one of my little drawings to this post to cheer you up a bit but couldn't work out how to do it doh.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Vall,

I wish I'd drawn it! No, a friend posted it on facebook and I just liked what it said about today being a favourite day. Thanks for trying to post a picture! Am cheered up even by the thought of it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Like everyone said its so normal to be tired and get tired so easily..

Take on little tasks at a time, just keep getting up to do something clean, dishes, a window .. ect. And for me taking small walks in the first couple weeks did wonders..

Keep it up
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tina

I have recently hit my 90 days and I still struggle with motivation at times. I have found that if I make decisions based on how I am feeling, I get nothing done but usually alot of sleep and playing on the computer. I have learned that feelings come and go, so I must just do what I know is going to keep me sober another day. Its not about what I am feeling, its about what I am doing, and I have to tell myself this several times a day.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days Tina305....That's awesome!!....Welcome to SR!!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I worked it out eli! (with a little help from a geeky mate of mine :>)

I have painted many Pooh's in my time but this is one of my faves.

Do you like honey :-) ?

Hope your eve is going wellx