Notices

Do you go to meetings?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I always thought AA was not for me - I am not a group meeting sort of gal
When I finally accepted that I needed help and needed help RIGHT NOW I went to my first meeting.

WOW - At that meeting I felt I had come home. I was surrounded by people that totally understood me, me the alcoholic, me the person.

AA saved my life I honestly believe that

All I would say is give it a try. Don't write it off without experiencing it

Good luck on your journey and keep posting
Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I go to AA mtgs, every single weekday that I possibly can, unless work prohibits me from making it. I never thought AA would be for me, I was adamantly against it. Now I am so glad to have a place to go. I've made friends, and that's really made a huge difference in my life. The fellowship of AA is amazing.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've thought about it before, I don't feel like I really need it, but I think of doing it just to meet sober people.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I've thought about it before, I don't feel like I really need it, but I think of doing it just to meet sober people.
This was my major intent when going to AA. I was sooooo lonely. And it worked! In more ways than one. Definitely give it a try if that's what you are looking for. It's so nice to hang with them outside of AA, because I don't have to worry about booze being there, or having to explain or whatever.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

JJust a few of the things I get out of meetings

• Nobody knows what it is like to be addicted unless you have been there done that. In AA you surround yourself with people who understand. People who you can talk to and not be ashamed, people who have fought the same battles and now are living a great life sober

• It is a program of positive and negative re-enforcement. You see what works and what does not

• AA has almost no rules and rewards success and ignores failure

• You become friends with people who have long term sobriety and they become role models for a new way of life

• AA's are fun people they just have fun without alcohol. Went to a golf outing last weekend with 100 sober people and it was a blast. Almost pee’d my pants laughing about my team mates 15 degree putter

• When life takes a dump on you there is a support group that teaches you how to deal with your problems sober

• AA is much more about how to live a happy, joyous, and free life than it is about not drinking. The first step is the only one that mentions alcohol

• Alcohol splits you off from the herd and then it kills you. AA has given me more true friends than I can count. The problem is all you have is first names. So I have Postal Tom, Carpenter Tom, Accident Tom, and Produce Tom

I could write pages
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Talulah

As you can see there's lots of different approaches around - it's clear to me no one way has a monopoly on success

Here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I'd also recommend you visit our Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach, like SMART, Rational Recovery etc

D
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I went to my first AA meeting while I was in treatment and didn't seem to get much out of it or want to go back.

But I did and I still do, and I haven't had a drink or a drug since I went to my first meeting, which is a few days shy of 24 years.

I hope you find whatever you need to not drink alcohol and to be happy, joyous and free.

Keep us posted.

Chris
Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Been dong weekly counseling, an IOP program(completed a couple of weeks ago), sr, and went to my first aa meeting today. Looking forward to going again tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I will consider going to a meeting. I think I have to change the anxiety I feel about having to tell total strangers my feelings. What happens in a typical meeting?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Tal....,I went for the first time today. There isn't much you have to say at all. The moderator asked at the beginning if there were any new comers, I raised my hand, said my name to introduce myself, then didn't say another word. Just listened, no pressure to speak.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have been thinking about my negative attitude to it today and I think the fear of having to talk in front of everyone is what's putting me off.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TALULAHBAGGINS1 View Post
I will consider going to a meeting. I think I have to change the anxiety I feel about having to tell total strangers my feelings. What happens in a typical meeting?
You are not required to talk at all if you don't want to.

These 2 links are the best I've seen for those new to or considering AA. I wish they had been around when I started:

Your First AA Meeting

AA Meeting - What to Expect at Your First Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting Video
Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I had some similar concerns, partly what too me so long. I've been sober for two months, but finally went to my first meeting. It wasnt intimidating at all, no pressure. I would encourage you to go check it out to see if it's for you. Your anxieties were non issues for me today, i felt very welcome and that I belonged. I'm glad I went... Going back tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I first went 15 months ago. I still go to one a daily. AA is made of two things..

Meeting for fellowship

Step for the road to living a sober joyous,happy,and peaceful life..

I never would of pictured me as a AAer but today I couldnt be happier. I wish I wouldnt of waited till I was 40 to have such a better life. But thats okay I got here when many dont..Please dont be one of them.

And like it was said there are other options , so whatever you choose work it like your life depends on it ... Because it truly can..
Old 09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Needsassistance View Post
Tal....,I went for the first time today. There isn't much you have to say at all. The moderator asked at the beginning if there were any new comers, I raised my hand, said my name to introduce myself, then didn't say another word. Just listened, no pressure to speak.
I didn't even get that far!! I stayed quiet, for a couple of weeks. At all of the mtgs I've been to, everyone says their name as they go around the cirlce. I don't think you even have to do that, although it'd be awkward if you didn't. But you don't have to share. That's the real niceness of AA. Lots of others will talk, believe me, LOL.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
I first went 15 months ago. I still go to one a daily. AA is made of two things..

Meeting for fellowship

Step for the road to living a sober joyous,happy,and peaceful life..

I never would of pictured me as a AAer but today I couldnt be happier. I wish I wouldnt of waited till I was 40 to have such a better life. But thats okay I got here when many dont..Please dont be one of them.

And like it was said there are other options , so whatever you choose work it like your life depends on it ... Because it truly can..
We are so alike. I too felt like I should have done it sooner, but I did it, and that counts for something. It could always have been worse. And I think we have to go thru stuff to get to where we need to be. If that makes sense. Stay on the beam Inda.....
Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Lost - I love your avatar so much!

I'm going to try going to my first meeting tonight. Trying to keep an open mind; not entirely sure I'll vibe w/ it.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
We are so alike. I too felt like I should have done it sooner, but I did it, and that counts for something. It could always have been worse. And I think we have to go thru stuff to get to where we need to be. If that makes sense. Stay on the beam Inda.....
Makes perfect sense...
Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Meetings really do sound like the way forward.

Quick question- do AA do group activities outside of the meetings, say organise trips to various places?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I do go to meetings. I tried getting sober on my own so many times I lost count.

Today I can say I love AA. I've meet some great, life long friends. I've been sober longer than I ever have and I'm actually happy. Really happy. For the first time since a child I think.

I agree, it's not for everyone but you can't know if it's for you unless you actually go to a few meetings.