Notices

Meditation

Old 09-15-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meditation

Can anyone recommend a guided meditation? I'm trying to find something I can listen to first thing in the morning for about 10-20 mins (short attention span!) to get myself centred or 'in the present' for the day. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Eli, there is lots of stuff around. What sort do you like? Music? Visual stuff too? Just audio?

I like the idea of being able to get a grip anytime I feel I am getting a little scattered, so I do the 'follow my breath' thing. Have you tried that? Look for topics like 'mindfulness' to find things like this. Or even http://www.the-guided-meditation-site.com/.

Namaste.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just audio I think. Thanks for the links!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

OK.

Mindfulness - Meditation Audio Tracks
Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

eli:

Inner body meditation is my favorite, guided or not. There are great youtubes that guide you. Also, I find that observing my thoughts is a great form of meditation in itself and fun. Some of the thoughts that form to compete for my attention are pretty outrageous. If you choose this type of meditation, prepare to laugh your a$$ off. You'll be amazed at how little control we humans really have over what chooses to enter our minds. Whichever form of meditation you ultimately choose will be incredibly helpful as a tool to aide in your recovery. The important thing is to find tools that work for us, whichever they turn out to be. I am so grateful that the recovery industry is finally seing that the the cookie-cutter approach to sobriety fails many.

There is an audiobook I listen to on my phone. It's called Stillness Speaks. The author guides you through an inner body meditation that is out of this world, literally.

Enjoy the journey,

Natalie
Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ticia Agri-"The Ribbon Breath Meditation"
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! x
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Countless scientific studies show that meditation improves our immune systems and significantly diminishes mind chatter by making our minds more clear. IMHO, mind chatter is the number one offender when it comes to unhappiness, depression and anxiety. Omega, I love your De Mello quote. I drank because I believed my thoughts. Those false beliefs would’ve gotten me to dig my own grave had I let them. Pretty amazing Jesuit priest that DeMello guy. No wonder he was black listed.

Natalie