Notices

Being Okay With Me

Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You may be one of those people that can just walk away from an addiction....A lot of people can't....I know know I couldn't. I'm not saying AVRT doesn't work either....I see people here that it does work for. But this post looks more like a sales pitch for a book than anything else....And I have a hard time seeing how reading half a book could result in no cravings...No detox...No triggers....etc. I know the work and dedication I had to put into this process for myself...And it wasn't easy. Than again....I have almost 15 months...And not 5 days. If it was this easy...This would be front page news..And it's not. Just shedding a little reality out there for the newcomer. I wish you well with it!

Originally Posted by Jakkolantern View Post
Hmmm... Read about AVRT on Monday... ordered the 1996 book that night, received it Wednesday. Halfway through so far.

Haven't had a drink since Sunday night. No cravings, no detox... I have to send the voice away occasionally, but nothing serious.

Even though it was a rough 3 years of nightly half bottles of scotch or more (sometimes lots more), perhaps I'm getting out early enough to avoid the real detox.

Discussed it with my counsellor - we have lots to work on. I can't help but ask, "Is it really that simple?" and so far the answer is "yes". But then it's only 5 days so far.

I did avoid a trigger without any trouble. I had to go to a grocery 20 minutes ago because I ran out of cat food. It's right next to a liquor store that sells my scotch.

No problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Have you thought of trying cognitive behavioural therapy?
I don't know the road my therapist and I will end up traveling. We're still in the investigatory period.

It's interesting... my therapist can empathize with a lot of things I'm saying, especially about childhood. Mine was a social train wreck. The root problem - I was IQ-smart enough that today it's actually considered a special need in children, while socially I was completely unable to function. It didn't go well.

Of course one of us is on the couch and the other in the chair...
Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
But this post looks more like a sales pitch for a book than anything else....And I have a hard time seeing how reading half a book could result in no cravings...No detox...No triggers....etc.
I agree.

Not pushing the book either. It's an overly judgemental opinion piece, and I disagree with a great deal of the material. It's only the sliver in the middle that I think is workable for me. A lot of the "conversations" he quotes are completely fictional, serving only to incorrectly lend authenticity to his arguments. I think he's a bit of a crackpot in most areas.

I don't understand the detox thing either. That's physiological, and has nothing to do with reading literature. But I'm thinking it might have something to do with only being 3 years in.

I'm increasingly aware that I'm a baby in the world of alcohol addiction. Some of the stuff I'm reading on this board is putting things in perspective.

As for triggers, I'm keenly aware I'm only 5 days in. It's ridiculous to think the worst isn't ahead.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

As far as detox goes...I drank daily for 35 years....My last two years were constant....I shook so bad if I didn't have alcohol in me that I would have been putting myself at serious risk if I tried it without medical supervision and medication. I'm glad you were spared that.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I'm glad you were spared that.
Thank you. But I'm only spared it if I do escape.

My book suggestion from my therapist is "Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation" by Joseph Goldstein and Jack Kornfield. I'm off to the bookshop to see if I can't find a copy this afternoon.

It's in the trendy section of town so I'll probably take a walk up and down the street as well, since the weather is still beautiful.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You should read the Big Book of AA...That's what my counselor in rehab gave me...I did what was in it and haven't drank since.