Notices

Can't Stop Pacing

Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't Stop Pacing

My routine was always to pace around and worry and walk circles around my room until the first couple beers hit me and I was calm enough to sit down or go about my day. Now I am pacing most of the day. I have tried carrying a soda around like I would have with a beer. I just don't know what to do. I made myself sit and come on SR. I feel like I will never enjoy anything again because I can't stop worrying. I also literally miss the action and comfort of drinking a beer. Anyone else down ungodly amounts of diet soda in your early sober days???
Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
Anyone else down ungodly amounts of diet soda in your early sober days???
Anything but beer...That was my poison. Early on I kept myself busy with working on recovery....I use AA so that meant meetings...Reading the Big Book...Hanging around and talking to other recovering alcoholics...Otherwise I would have drove myself nuts. Maybe AA is not for you....I'd suggest you find something that is....And work at it....Replace drinking with working on your recovery....Whatever that may be.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you are walking anyway, why not go outside and get some exercise? I don't know where you are, but it's a gorgeous day here.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't go to meetings most of the time because I have to watch my son, and have no one in this town to help me, so that's not really an option, but I could still read the book, try to go occasionally, and do stuff online. Don't know of AA is for me or not, but not against the idea.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very hot here... But nice weather coming soon. Will have to walk the dog and kid some as it cools off for sure.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh my yes I always had something to drink in my hand.. Rootbeer, Ginger Ale, Gatorade , Lemonade always something with a lot of ice..

All the anxiety is so normal, you need to find your way to work thru it.. I walk outside ALOT and for me I go to a lot of meetings also, they really calm mind when its racing..

Well done on coming on and posting,, keep it up,... Just dont drink and these things will get better..
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are open to AA...Take the kid with you. I see women do it all the time. AA works for me because I put the same effort into it that I did into my drinking. I couldn't lose.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't know kids could go... If that's the case, I might try that.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't know kids could go... If that's the case, I might try that.
I haven't seen one kicked out yet...I've thought about tossing a few myself...But I made it through it.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Do some searches on B.F. Skinner's operant conditioning or behavior modification and self-control. Humans (animals) CAN learn how to change their former behavior patterns. http://www.psychologicalselfhelp.org/Chapter11.pdf

You've paired pacing and drinking. I suggest figuring out how to eliminate the pacing and replace it with something more purposeful, you can do it! Just do some research on it and try....

Maybe some indoor bowling game you can set up in your home (the walking is similar to pacing)... I dunno, something can replace your old behaviors, and yes, it will take some time and practice.

The 12 steps helped me to reduce the anxiety that I had had when I was drinking and thinking......

How old is your child? Bring a quiet activity for him to play with. It's amazing what a higher power can do for a child in a meeting! There's a young man of about 5 at our Saturday morning meeting who is perfectly behaved (at least within reason for that age) and a few of us have thought of him as we are out shopping....I have some spiderman stickers for him (he often shows up in a spiderman costume for the day).

We have an infant at the Saturday noon meeting, I loved his cooing at the most appropriate times as someone shared (ya had to be there, but they were perfectly timed!).

Glad you are here on SR!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered

I take my kids all the time. In a meeting was the only place where my skin would stop crawling.

Yeah, they respond "hi ______" when people are sharing. They come with me to the front when I hand out chips...they have THEIR favorite meetings. Lol
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a lady that brings her new baby every morning...To see the other ladies hold that child every morning is beautiful...I've never heard a peep out of that kid. Amazing.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Anyone else down ungodly amounts of diet soda in your early sober days???
Oh god yes... copious amounts of herbal teas and soda water. Better than beer right?

I have this problem with anxiety and adrenaline rushes that previously only beer could fix... now I try exercise (walking mainly) and playing music. I used to pace when I had anxiety attacks and couldn't get out (like at work or on a train). Try getting out of the house and just walking somewhere with your son x
Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you do whatever it takes for you to recover.

I know for sure, that it took a lot more than just 'not drinking' for me to recover. And, yes, walking outside, was and still is an important part of my day.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank up to 10ltrs of diet cola a day (and night), until I blew up like a barrage balloon with gas, and had a caffine induced seizure. . . It finally settled to a steady 3 or 4 litres. . 7 months now, and I drink mostly carbonated spring water and herbal tea. . . . This To Will Pass
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sugar bear I am very familiar with that stuff, so glad you mentioned it, cos I never thought to apply it to myself. Skinner, Karen Pryor, and Jean Donaldson are my heros, and I train show dogs. Haven't done anything with the dogs in a year, though.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I first quit I drank can after can of coca cola....Now I drink about 5 ltrs of water a day and also the odd glass of pomegranate juice,I love the stuff.....
Old 09-08-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can you fall in love with Green Tea? Regular and Diet Soda isn't full of good stuff you know? If you are chasing the carbonation though I can see where it might be appealing. How about getting outside of the house, unless of course it might lead you to a store?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yup, if I drive somewhere, the store will call. Family outings are fine, but my sons sick so that's out today.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very important not to fall into the trap of thinking that because you feel this way now, it's always going to be like this - it's not SoberForMySon.

If you're like me you drank for years - it's going to take time to adjust to sobriety.

I used to be a worrier and pacer too - like you I used booze to 'calm me down'.
I've learned to let go of a lot of my worry, I've learned to calm down more too.

I learned to face the things I can and fix them rather than worry about them - the things I can't do anything about, I try and not tie myself in knots over them.

It's definitely a process, but if I can do it, you can too
Give it time

F