Notices

Day 5

Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Today is my 5th day of sobriety. I feel like the fog's lifted a little and I feel happy. Hopeful. Good about myself.

I bought new clothes. That's huge for me because I've been a little depressed and also hate looking in the mirror to try things on. I've gained so much weight from heavy binge drinking at least twice a week for years. So, I went to work in clothes that were past their prime not to mention too casual for a work environment in the first place. Everything about the way I've been presenting myself screamed "Leave me alone".

So, I bought new stuff.

The second thing that happened today was weird timing. I have a friend that I always drank with. We work together. We both liked to overdo it. She works out twice a day just so she can binge drink and eat whatever she wants... I have yet to see a hangover put a dent in her commitment to the gym, amazing as it's been. She's gone to the gym at 5am still drunk from the night before.

Anyway she invited me to a brew pub for lunch. I was always one to drink at night, so I agreed to meet her but told her I'm not drinking but will grab a bite and then leave. If she wanted to hang out and drink for the day, she was on her own (I let her know).

On my way there she called me to tell me she was already there but can't do it. She said she's sick. She's nauseas, has a terrible headache and it's just not going away.

I realized she had a massive hangover but wouldn't admit it. Takes one to know one.

Can you imagine how good I felt about myself knowing I didn't have to do that anymore? I felt badly for her of course, and hope she's ok, but I was so relieved to hear about that and know it wasn't me canceling plans due to excessive alcohol the night before.

All the memories of what I don't miss came flooding back... sleeping the day away... the nausea... the taste of last night's beer/bourbon that just won't go away... the dry heaves... dehydrated... and just feeling so, so sick. The guilt of missing work yet again, or bailing on some commitment and lying about the reason.

Grateful for today.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on day 5 backbeat

D
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nice work on 5 days! Sounds like you're already appreciating the benefits of not drinking. I bet it feels great to have some new clothes! Sorry your friend had to cancel, maybe she'll see how well you're doing and decide to get sober with you...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Grateful for today.
As am I. Thanks for the post
Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

5 days, way to go .

I try to remember that gratitude for not being drunk or hungover every morning, helps put me in a good mood every morning .
Waking up sober is great i recon ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on five days. Sobriety has been the best thing I've done for my mood in years, and I trust you'll see the same as time goes on.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice work on 5 days!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work