Notices

Day 4 starts now!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 starts now!

Went to my first AA meeting yesterday. Everyone was very welcoming and nice. They were only a room full of strangers at first but at the end they felt like friends. They all left me with their numbers to call at anytime day or night if I needed to talk. It was a really great feeling. It's hard to get a word in edge wise in most conversations with friends, out to dinner, or even at bars. (not any more) But at this AA meeting when it was your turn to talk you had the complete attention of everyone in the room. It was a really special feeling. I think with posts from this site and a weekly meeting I can get my drinking under control! Or possibly kick it for good.

I know that's what my girlfriend wants. We have a baby due in December. In the past when girls have left, I now realize it was due largely in part to my alcoholism. Well I can't loose her or our baby to be. I've never been more excited about anything in my life! She really doesn't like the town we live in, or my reputation here as a promiscuous drinker. She really wants out of here because of my drinking.

There's been a few instances when I've come home too drunk, keep her up all night puking and then I wake up shivering on the bathroom floor. This most recently happened Thursday. I could have come home after dinner with her, like a responsible father to be. But instead I let the alcohol get the best of me. Drinking all day wasn't enough. I had to keep going.

She still isn't sure if she wants to stay. But I'm taking the proper steps this time, to right myself and make things better. One day at a time. I just hope it isn't too late.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marty!

I am so glad that you found us and are posting your experience. Keep reading SR and posting - it saved me.

I am glad you recognize all of this right now....you have a whole life ahead of you - you are master of your future, seriously. Take it a day at a time, tired but true!

Good deal that you apparently found a good AA group! It sounds like you are really trying, and you sound great. Keep it up and keep us updated. We care.